See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Better Revisions,Addendums 8.5x11

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Better Revisions,Addendums 8.5x11

Thanks David for the help. I haven't had time to look at my title block yet,but I will dive into it today and try to solve my problem. If I don't succeed, then I will be asking for more help. By the way nice job on your title block, it looks very professional.

Login to Give a bone

Here's an issue that has been noticed with this approach:

When you mask out areas of a plan, you lose the ability to show grid bubbles (in plan) and level annotations (in elevation/section).

If you've been using the masking approach to sketches as described, how have you been handling this limitation? Presumably we all want to see the grid designations around the cropped area on a sketch.

Login to Give a bone

With Structural drawings, this approach isn't ideal. We use this mostly with Architectural and MEP drawings as there are other things (room numbers, door numbers) to help the viewer get their bearings! But for Structural drawings, the only cue is the grid bubble. Our Structural group duplicates views as dependants and crops them as required for issuing revisions.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Better Revisions,Addendums 8.5x11

Mr. Kingham,

Wow...very very cool. I just spent a few minutes getting it up and running for my firm. Works like a charm. And the the 'Blank' setting is terribley handy for sheets with multiple sketches on them...not sure if that is your intent or not but it's great Before I hide my sketch titleblock I make sure I change it to 'Blank' (i.e. 'Without the Mask'). This allows me to see what the hell I am doing should I need to turn any one of them (or anything else for that matter) back on again.

Once again...very slick...thank you.

Drew

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Prolly way late, but 2 questions

1. how do you identify each sketch (i.e. number the various titleblocks) so they can be referenced in the addendum?

2. seems imperfect for setting up the sketch and then working on it later. am I missing something. Like say you make changes to A101 the day after bid docs are released, then 2 days later you change something on A102, A103, A104 & A105. then the next day, you have to change A101 again. so you need to go through the process of turning the titleblock on and remembering where it is, etc, etc? and what woul dbe the number of the sketch?

Login to Give a bone

I must be missing something but, how do I keep the rest of the drawing from overlapping stuff on the side of my title block? I placed a masking region in the title block family and loaded it, but the floor plan appears to be in front of the title block mask.

Also, how do I "plop" a title block onto a floor plan? I can create a sheet view with a title block, but if I delete it, how do I place a different one? I don't see title blocks listed under families in the Project Browser.

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The only way I know how to insert a titleblock is to drag it from the browser. It is under annotation symbols in the file tree.

The filled region must be inside of a generic annotation family and then loaded into the titleblock family.

Login to Give a bone

We have got the sketches to work great with the masked region. The only problem we run into is if we have more than one revision on a sheet. We are using a shared parameter for the addendum number and a shared parameter for the sketch number. The parameters are set to instance. If I label one of the sketches it labels the other one the same thing. Is the correct? What can I do to fix this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ParagonChris View Post
    We have got the sketches to work great with the masked region. The only problem we run into is if we have more than one revision on a sheet. We are using a shared parameter for the addendum number and a shared parameter for the sketch number. The parameters are set to instance. If I label one of the sketches it labels the other one the same thing. Is the correct? What can I do to fix this?
    We have the same issue. apparently instance parameters don't work for multiple title blocks on the same sheet view. As for the work around you print one out and then the other or use opaque text. Nothing great though, still waiting for a good way to issue supplementary drawings and don't suggest the cad converter that supposedly does this. That only archives drawings not prep or allow for a real supplementary drawing.

Nick

Login to Give a bone

Parameters are instance-based on the View, not on the titleblock. That's the main problem. We also cannot add shared parameters to Annotation families within the project environment. If that was possible, then you could type in the value you wanted, but it would not be a View parameter.

If you place 5 titleblock instances, you can only have one "Drawn By" value. In practice that doesn't work. To a certain extent if that parameter changed, in a linear workflow you could have John draw Sketch 1 and Jane do Sketch 2. If you print Sketch 1 first, you can then change the name to Jane and print sketch 2. However that changes the titleblock's parameter for Sketch 1 since it's the same parameter, so you cannot rely on Revit for revision record keeping. Plotting to PDF is the only way to literally freeze a drawing (or print to paper). Unless you want to have a unique titleblock for each person with their initials typed in as text in the family and making sure they use the correct one. It's just too much work and in my opinion, not elegant at all.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast