Thread: Hidden/Dashed Line Types & Linetype scales

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Hidden/Dashed Line Types & Linetype scales

I have a question. This question does not pertain specify to ADT but general drafting. My Boss and I have had discussion back and forth on hidden/dashed lines & different sized view-ports. When I was taught hand drafting years ago that a hidden/dashed line would appear to have the same size & spacing of the dashes regardless of the scale. He says that when he was taught hand drafting that the dashed got bigger with larger scales. Is there a correct answer to this or is it one of those I like it this way or I like it that way things? I looked and have not found anything one way or the other.

I would like to be able to set ltscale at 1.0 and turn on psltscale and let it be, versus toying with the ltscale in each drawing that has multiple view-ports

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hidden/Dashed Line Types & Linetype scales

From what I learned, scale dosen't matter. A hidden line should have segments of the same length no matter what the scale is. The same holds true for hatch patterns. Concrete hatch should look the same on an 1/8" drawing as is does on a 3" drawing. The same also holds true for text. 3/32" text is always going to be 3/32" on the piece of paper. Just my 2 cents.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Dashed lines I don't have much concern about. However, I do take issue with the concrete, and that probably would establish a protocol for dashes. If you consider that an 1/8 scale drawing is looking at an object 8 feet away, and 3" scale would be looking at objects from 3" away, then in reality, the concrete would appear very very different. From 8 feet one would only see a texture. From 3" one would see both coarse and fine aggregate.

So, for concrete, at least, the size of hatch is very much scale dependent.

For dashed lines, etc., I depend on the automated drawing scale function to set the sizes.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    Dashed lines I don't have much concern about. However, I do take issue with the concrete, and that probably would establish a protocol for dashes. If you consider that an 1/8 scale drawing is looking at an object 8 feet away, and 3" scale would be looking at objects from 3" away, then in reality, the concrete would appear very very different. From 8 feet one would only see a texture. From 3" one would see both coarse and fine aggregate.

So, for concrete, at least, the size of hatch is very much scale dependent.

For dashed lines, etc., I depend on the automated drawing scale function to set the sizes.
    Yeah I tend to agree, I change the hatching as per the scale, but line types as they are not supposed to look like real world objects only to represent something then we tend to keep them the same whatever the scale. There are obviously exceptions to the rule such as the batting, tracks and line types containing text.

Also can you remember letraset (I think thats how it was spelt), anyway they were sticky hatching sheets that you could add to hand drawings and they had hatching in different scales.

I guess its a standards thing and there is no definitive standard that we all adhere to.