Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot select previously chosen items

Login to Give a bone

Default Unable to select an Object after selecting and hitting the Esc key

I have the following problem:
    I select an object in my drawing (any object: line, text, leader, etc.) and everything is fine; the selected object(s) show up 'highlighted' as they are supposed to. However, if I hit escape to cancel the selection and try to reselect the same object, I can't. The mouse just acts 'dead'. Once I move off the object into open space, a selection window can be drawn but neither a window or a crossing window will select the original object.

However, if I type a command, i.e. move and get the 'select objects' prompt I can then select the object.

I tried all system variables I could think of with no luck.

Any ideas.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot select previously chosen items

Quote Originally Posted by demilio
    I have the following problem:
    I select an object in my drawing (any object: line, text, leader, etc.) and everything is fine; the selected object(s) show up 'highlighted' as they are supposed to. However, if I hit escape to cancel the selection and try to reselect the same object, I can't. The mouse just acts 'dead'. Once I move off the object into open space, a selection window can be drawn but neither a window or a crossing window will select the original object.

However, if I type a command, i.e. move and get the 'select objects' prompt I can then select the object.

I tried all system variables I could think of with no luck.

Any ideas.
    My first guess would be the PICKFIRST system variable. Have you tried that?

Login to Give a bone

This sounds somewhat like this problem. We don't seem to have a solution though.

Login to Give a bone

Hi "demilio"

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Something similar to this happens to me once in a while after I have done some customizing to my toolbars. I find that if this happens, I reload my profile and everything works again, why I don't know.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am running AutoCAD 2005 on a Windows XP OS. Lately, if I were to select an item (polyline, text, line, etc.) to modify, move, etc., and then hit escape because I have picked an item incorrectly, the system will not let me select it again. I can enter the command I want to use then select it. But it will not let me select the item first, then let me tell it what I want to do. I am currently trying to modify the size of a viewport. I moved it to the location I want, but now I cannot select it, choose a grip, and change the size. But if I were to leave the drawing, get out of AutoCAD, and start everything up again, I can select it just fine. Also, this seems more prevelant when I have multiple drawings open. Please help. Thanks!!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by martyk
    I am running AutoCAD 2005 on a Windows XP OS. Lately, if I were to select an item (polyline, text, line, etc.) to modify, move, etc., and then hit escape because I have picked an item incorrectly, the system will not let me select it again. I can enter the command I want to use then select it. But it will not let me select the item first, then let me tell it what I want to do. I am currently trying to modify the size of a viewport. I moved it to the location I want, but now I cannot select it, choose a grip, and change the size. But if I were to leave the drawing, get out of AutoCAD, and start everything up again, I can select it just fine. Also, this seems more prevelant when I have multiple drawings open. Please help. Thanks!!!
    Have you have checked your pickfirst variable? Do you notice this if you are using a custom program (such as a lisp program) to modify or move your item?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

My PICKFIRST variable is set to 1 (which will allow select item first, then command). I am not using any special lisp routine. As in the case of the viewport, I moved the viewport to a new location. I then tried to select the viewport to get the grips to show up, so I could change the size of the viewport. It would not select the viewport. I proceeded to save the drawing, exit the drawing, and reopen the drawing. I could then select the viewport, have the grips show up, and change the size of my viewport. "Is a puzzlement!"

Login to Give a bone

Hi

When it happens again, try running the _.RegenAll command and see if that fixes the issue / problem.

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

When it happens again, try running the _.RegenAll command and see if that fixes the issue / problem.

Have a good one, Mike
    That did not work Mike! I just copied some text and tried to edit it and it wouldn't let me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast