Thread: Copy/Monitor and an Architect's graphic needs

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Copy/Monitor and an Architect's graphic needs

I am faced with an Architect's quandary. On the one hand, I need to show "structural" items correctly, i.e. as they will really be built. Thus, glulams might have tapered ends, and exposed steel I-beams might be cut at 45 degrees and welded to a plate at the corner. But I can't do that with Revit Building components, so I have to make Generic Model stuff. But then I don't have Structural items for our Engineers in Revit Structure to copy/monitor. And we do large, complex buildings where I suspect copy/monitor makes a HUGE difference.
    So, from the Engineer's side, has anyone found an approach that really works well for both sides of the workflow?

Thanks,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Copy/Monitor and an Architect's graphic needs

Hi Gordon,

Just so you know, the Copy/Monitor does not work for beams.
    The Elements that can be copied are:
    walls (as well as openings), floors (as well as openings), columns, grids and levels.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hammond
    Hi Gordon,

Just so you know, the Copy/Monitor does not work for beams.
    The Elements that can be copied are:
    walls (as well as openings), floors (as well as openings), columns, grids and levels.
    Well, that opens up some opportunities. So, assuming I create some Generic Model items for architectural beams and such, what mechanism do you find allows you to track the architects "structural" stuff? A "Structural" sub-category of Generic Model perhaps? Or some type parameter that you filter for?

Thanks,
    Gordon

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We use both RB and RS so we link models. You work with RB correct? The architects here do not put a lot of effort into structural detail at all but make a constant reference to see structural plans and details. The architectural does indeed show intent with the structural member but shows little to no detail with other structural components like connections etc.(the nice thing about linking is they have our "background" anyway so they can clearly see the structural and how it interacts architecturally. Occasionally we may only be doing one discipline for a particular job and will not have the luxury of a linked background. Then when a section is cut, to show a better understanding of the relationship between the two disciplines, we will use detail components and lines and filled regions (sketching) into the section. In short, is it necessary to model, can you simply detail it?
    Jen