Thread: Signage Schedule?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Signage Schedule?

I'm trying to find information on Signage (Objects, Tags and Schedules) and Revit. In ADT we have a signage object that we can tag and schedule automatically. Is there anything like that in Revit? I can't seem to find any info regarding signage. Your help is appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Signage Schedule?

I have no idea if there are signage families pre-made for revit, but it would be an easy thing to create and schedule.

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi!
    If you are creating signage to be scheduled, I would probably suggest using the Specialty Equipment Catagory/family - wall based. You could also use the Generic Model - Wall Based family template.
    Best regards,

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

While the choice to use wall based is up to you. I would actually consider building the family as a non-hosted object first, you can always nest a non-hosted family into a hosted family. Most family types in version 9 and above are capable of being workplane based, which allows you to host a family to any planar surface in a model. For signage I would tend to start with this, as you will then be able to attached the same signage families to multiple surfaces and not just a basic wall (curtain panels are the first that come to mind).

I would also follow the previous advice and start with a generic template, but change the family type category to "Speciality Equipment" in addition to this I would create a subcategory for signage and place all related geometry under that subcat. You can then create custom tags and shared parameters as required to schedule whatever additional information you need regarding signage.

I avoid hosted families/templates as much as possible, my general rule of thumb (learned by experience and others here on AUGI) is that unless the object you're modeling needs to somehow interact with the hosting object (ie substantially cutting into it, where a correct section really matters), you probably don't need to use a hosted family. This situation is further alleviated by the newer functionality mentioned above.

HTH,
    -R