See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Link already loaded with different workset config. warning

Login to Give a bone

Question Link already loaded with different workset config. warning

Has anyone ever come across this warning dialog? It happens when saving to central under my current project in RB 9.1. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I have a RS4 linked file with some closed worksets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Link already loaded with different workset config. warning

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Has anyone ever come across this warning dialog? It happens when saving to central under my current project in RB 9.1. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I have a RS4 linked file with some closed worksets.
    Yup. We get it all the time. it turns out that Autodesk added this in to help stupid people realize that when things were missing it was because they were unloaded when the Revit link was loaded in. Now, it means that you need to unload (or maybe even remove) the link and when you reload it in, make sure to set the worksets to All or whatever they were before...

If all that above was unclear I will explain how you specifically got this message:
    Someone thought they would be helpful (This is something I am constantly doing and then kicking myself for) by only loading in some of the links (to make the file lighter). Unfortunately, someone else had already loaded in the file with more links open. Thus the workset configuration for the same linked file is different and must be corrected. The warning message is mostly annoying, but what it really means is that you should not unload "un-needed" worksets unless you are absolutely certain that you will never need them again. The fix: go into the linked file and unload and reload all worksets instead of just some...
    It should go away. If not, take out your lunch money and feed it to the Revit machine.

HTH,
    Stephen

Login to Give a bone

Ahh thanks for your reply.

In our case, we actually want to link in the RS4 file but only open a few select worksets. For example, Structural is placing their levels on "Levels and Grids". Instead of managing the link through Revit links in V/G in each view and turning off their levels category, I'm just not loading the workset "Levels and Grids" (oh by the way, grids are not placed on this workset!) and this way, only the Architectural Levels show up, which means I can better control visibility through view templates (without having to customize view templates for each Revit job). So in my case I'll have to live with the warning

Users were asking me about this because it seems that the annoying warning comes up when someone goes to the manage links dialog to reload a dwg link and this pops up and panics them. I tried to comfort them in pointing out that it's a warning and Revit only gives you the option to click OK, so there's no decision that needs to be taken

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Users were asking me about this because it seems that the annoying warning comes up when someone goes to the manage links dialog to reload a dwg link and this pops up and panics them. I tried to comfort them in pointing out that it's a warning and Revit only gives you the option to click OK, so there's no decision that needs to be taken
    Funny, I was just telling someone yesterday that part of my job is to council concerned users. Sometimes I sit with them and hold the handkerchief. Other times, I let them lean their heads on my shoulder. If it's really rough, I will give them the gentle upper back patting hug.

We have a team in the office that has chosen to also allow this message to come up, but I still feel like there is a way to have the vis control and keep the message from pooping up. For right now, just understanding the issue has been a headache. Getting a viable solution is too much for me at this point. They are okay to keep the message and I have chosen to spend my time elsewhere and let it roll...

Gotta love it when a message comes up that you can actually ignore. The only reason I really don't like it is when you have long STC's and the user leaves to go get some coffee and comes back to see the message sitting on his or her screen.

Anyway, no harm, no foul.
    Good luck,
    Stephen

Login to Give a bone

Does this message come up if everyone is linking the revit files the same?

Meaning when a revit file is linked turning certain worksets off and then saved to central, the error should show up to the other users who don't have that workset configuration set... If they were to go back and set their revit links the same, then the error should go away?

I'll try it and see...

Tim

Login to Give a bone

You don't want to mess with the workset configuration of linked files. You do it once and be done with it. In fact I like to make sure users are "locking" their links by checking out the workset that the link resides on permanently. Obviously there are other cases where you have large models to link and only want to see pieces of the project (say, just mechanical equipment), but if you're using the link as part of the documentation views, you want to do it once to avoid problems at printing time!