See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Split DWG file into two, Blocks are ok! in one file, but not in the other file

Login to Give a bone

Default Split DWG file into two, Blocks are ok! in one file, but not in the other file

Hi,

I'm currently working on a 2D piping and instrument diagram. One of the old drawings I was working from was too crowded so I split the contents into two drawings.

One half worked out well, where the blocks in the 2nd drawing are now completely different then the original.

I can't even cut and paste from one drawing to the other without the contents undergoing the same transformation.

Very frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Williams
    Acid-Amine Technologies, Inc.
    john.williams@acid-amine.com

I could stop if I wanted to tyshofner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Split DWG file into two, Blocks are ok! in one file, but not in the other file

Trying to understand:

In FILE-A the blocks look OK, but when you bring them into FILE-B they change their appearance. Is this correct??

If so, it is because of the block defenition in FILE-B. If you simply copy and paste a block into a file that already contains a block of the same name it will use the block defenition that is already contained in the drawing.

Two ways to fix this:

1. Use the "Insert" command to bring the block into FILE-B, when asked if you want to re-define the block say yes and it will use the new defenition.

2. Erase all instances of the affected block from the drawing (FILE-B), then run the "purge" command and purge out the block definitions. Now you should be able to copy and paste the block into the drawing.

Ty

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Split DWG file into two, Blocks are ok! in one file, but not in the other file

Did you copy and paste geometry from the original drawing into a new host? It sounds as if there were already blocks defined in the new host with the same names but different geometry.
    Do you still have the original drawing from before the split? If so, try saving it to a new filename and deleting the parts that are okay in the other new drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your help.

In the drawing where everything was OK I used WBLOCK and saved it under a unique name.

When I insert into the 2nd drawing it worked fine.

Thanks!!

As a follow up, I'm trying to understand how it happened. I quite literally split a drawing in half, then redrew the borders and title block. When I looked at the 2nd drawing, 2 blocks out of all the dozens used in the drawing set were different everywhere they were used.

Yet the original and the 1st half of the split were fine.

Anyway, thanks again you were both very helpful.

John Williams
    Acid-Amine Technologies, Inc.
    john.williams@acid-amine.com

Login to Give a bone

If I have a drawing "A" and I want the content divided between new drawings "B" and "C", I open drawing "A" and Saveas "B" and Saveas again as "C" then start editing the new drawings.

Login to Give a bone

Thats exactly how I do it myself. Much easier and a cleaner drawing.