See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batch convert DXF files to DWG files

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Batch convert DXF files to DWG files

hi there folks

is there any one out there who knows anyway or program/bolt on that will batch convert DXF files into Dwg files. We've been sent some 200 odd OS tiles that need to be converted and if they can be done en mass it would be a great help and time saving exercise.

Cheers

B-)

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Batch convert DXF files to DWG files

You could write a script to run in AutoCAD, something like:

OPEN
    FILENAME.DXF
    SAVE
    CLOSE
    OPEN

With the above repeated once for every file. I often have to convert a batch of files from R2004 format to an earlier format, and that's what I do. I start with a text file made at the Windows command prompt, i.e.

C:>cd filedirectory
    C:\filedirectory>dir *.dwg /b > C:\somefolder\batch.scr

and then use a word processor on the batch.scr file to fill in the rest of the script using the word processor's search and replace functions.

The problem is that all those DXF files you have need to be perfectly digestible by AutoCAD. The DXF format is not very rigorous, and AutoCAD is not very forgiving of variations. If it finds what it thinks is an irregularity, it will give you an error and refuse to import any of the file. So you should try a few random ones manually first to see if the script idea is viable.

Michael Evans
    Togawa Smith Martin Residential, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445
    You could write a script to run in AutoCAD, something like:

OPEN
    FILENAME.DXF
    SAVE
    CLOSE
    OPEN

With the above repeated once for every file. I often have to convert a batch of files from R2004 format to an earlier format, and that's what I do. I start with a text file made at the Windows command prompt, i.e.

C:>cd filedirectory
    C:\filedirectory>dir *.dwg /b > C:\somefolder\batch.scr

and then use a word processor on the batch.scr file to fill in the rest of the script using the word processor's search and replace functions.

The problem is that all those DXF files you have need to be perfectly digestible by AutoCAD. The DXF format is not very rigorous, and AutoCAD is not very forgiving of variations. If it finds what it thinks is an irregularity, it will give you an error and refuse to import any of the file. So you should try a few random ones manually first to see if the script idea is viable.

Michael Evans
    Togawa Smith Martin Residential, Inc.
    cheers for that I'll give it a shot. Hopefully they'll be a quick way of importing the dxf file using wild cards. I'll have to experiment, I must admit that I hadn't thought of that way

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Additionally, the couple of links found in the following post might prove helpful / useful...

RE: How can I do a mass SaveAs to AutoCAD 2002?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Additionally, the couple of links found in the following post might prove helpful / useful...

RE: How can I do a mass SaveAs to AutoCAD 2002?

Have a good one, Mike
    Mike,

Do you know if the Batch Drawing Converter from this thread, "AutoCAD chokes on script file", will convert dxf files to dwg?

The DWG TrueConvert program does not mention opening DXF as an option.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Mike,

Do you know if the Batch Drawing Converter from this thread, "AutoCAD chokes on script file", will convert dxf files to dwg?

The DWG TrueConvert program does not mention opening DXF as an option.
    Hi

Pass... as I no longer have access to that old Autodesk DWG Converter, nor can my memory stretch back that far.

Regardless, the information presented in the other thread [ Mass convert DWGs to R12 DXF ] will definitely work, with a little alteration / tweaking.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Pass... as I no longer have access to that old Autodesk DWG Converter, nor can my memory stretch back that far.

Regardless, the information presented in the other thread [ Mass convert DWGs to R12 DXF ] will definitely work, with a little alteration / tweaking.

Have a good one, Mike
    Here is another Knowledge Base article on the subject. ID: TS67473 Batch convert DXF™ files to DWG files. It's a bit old but should also help.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445
    ...and then use a word processor on the batch.scr file to fill in the rest of the script using the word processor's search and replace functions.
    Michael,

Here is a small lisp code which I posted in AutoLisp forum to suite his requirement. First we have to edit the lisp file to accommodate our requirement, then run it and just browse the folder. It will create the script and run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beldin
    ...anyway or program/bolt on that will batch convert DXF files into Dwg files.
    Beldin, if you want me to modify to suite your requirement, please post the command sequences as per the version of your AutoCAD. You have to try this with "filedia" set to 0. For example:

Filedia
    New
    acad.dwt
    dxfin
    c:\folder\filename.dxf
    qsave
    c:\folder\filename.dwg

Regards,
    Abdul Huck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by abdulhuck
    Michael,

Here is a small lisp code which I posted in AutoLisp forum to suite his requirement. First we have to edit the lisp file to accommodate our requirement, then run it and just browse the folder. It will create the script and run it.

Beldin, if you want me to modify to suite your requirement, please post the command sequences as per the version of your AutoCAD. You have to try this with "filedia" set to 0. For example:

Filedia
    New
    acad.dwt
    dxfin
    c:folderfilename.dxf
    qsave
    c:folderfilename.dwg

Regards,
    Abdul Huck
    Abdul

Its quite simple really, all the files are in one place though there is about 7000 of them to be converted. I am running ABS 2007 but they all have to be saved down to 2004 format and left in the same folder. so I'm guessing that what you/vie posted above is pretty much what is really needed. I'll pull across the files to the C drive and let them go from there maybe overnight as I'm sure it'll take several hours to run through them all.

If you would re-write the lisp to suit I would be grateful.

Cheers

B-)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beldin
    If you would re-write the lisp to suit I would be grateful.
    I have updated the lisp file. You have to just browse to the folder where the dxf files are located. It should work normally, I tried it in AutoCAD 2005 only. Please let me know if there is any problem, preferably with a snip of the command prompt.

Regards,

AbdulHuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast