Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autocad running really slow on Network

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad running really slow on Network

For the past couple months AutoCad, along with several other applications have been running really slow on our office. I think the out network is having issues casuing the problems, others think AutoCAD is causing the network to be slow.

Basiclly about 10 users have been using Autocad 2006 for the past 6 to 8 months and everything was runiing smooth. Then 2 months ago, with in a couple of weeks of the rest of the office being upgraded to 2006 things started to get bad. I am of the opinion that this is a pure coincidence. AutoCad is setup with an enterprise CUI. All of the blocks and common content (menus, template, add on lisp) are on a read only sever share while the bulk of the program is installed locally on the users station. AutoCad files are also opened up directly off the server. But in reality they are really copied to a temp location on the users station behind the sences.

Our biggest problems in AutoCad seem to be the following:
    * takes for ever to insert views via sheet set manager
    * when trying to open, or insert a block via a dialog box , after you hit browse it can take up to a minute (sometimes longer ) for a list of local or network drives to show up
    * AutoCad will periodically hang up in the middle of a simple command for several minutes.

So, does anyone have any ideas about anything AutoCad could be doing to cuase these issues, or any common network problems that could cuase AutoCAD to have problems.

Tim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad running really slow on Network

Out of the blue, but... has your IT team upgraded anything on the network or your PC's? Check the Firewall software to make sure Acad is one of the allowed entries. Otherwise, every time Acad accesses a file, your firewall will check ALL of the files to protect itself.

Yes, it's happened here....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rgorman
    Out of the blue, but... has your IT team upgraded anything on the network or your PC's? Check the Firewall software to make sure Acad is one of the allowed entries. Otherwise, every time Acad accesses a file, your firewall will check ALL of the files to protect itself.

Yes, it's happened here....
    As far as I know, there were no upgrades of changes to the network of workstation around the time this slow down began. But sinc that time many things have been changed trying to solve the problem.

One thing that did take place around the start of the slow down, is that our Barracuda email fire wall went down for a period of two weeks with out anyone knowing. Our subcription to Barracuda expired, and the software was not being updated. During those 2 weeks we were hit with alot of spam. All email went down for about a week and our ISP actually shut down our connection temporarily. I have since been informed by our IT people that this could not have caused the network issues. Though I find it a bit too coincidental.

Also, we just installed a new network fire wall last week, what AutoCAD files should be excluded. Just dwg's, or all common AutoCAD files on the network share?

Tim

I could stop if I wanted to jgratton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A network server is probably no diferent than local drive. They can get slower when they share their resources with multiple applications. Where are the temp and autosave files going? I have never heard of anyone running AutoCAD successfully from a network. I imagine it can be done provided it is set up optimally and large temp files are not allowed to pile up. Start by looking at the profile settings.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgratton
    A network server is probably no diferent than local drive. They can get slower when they share their resources with multiple applications. Where are the temp and autosave files going? I have never heard of anyone running AutoCAD successfully from a network. I imagine it can be done provided it is set up optimally and large temp files are not allowed to pile up. Start by looking at the profile settings.
    All temp files are located on the users computer. The only AutoCAD files on the network are dwgs, and misc comon files that everyone shares (blocks, templates, details, lisp add ons, ect...). The actual program is installed on the users local maching in the default location.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Maybe take a look at the links found in the following post...

RE: Time delay when using certain commands in AutoCAD LT 2006

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

ooh, I just remembered another little quirk involving slow opening of Acad. It involved UNconnected printers in your system printers list. It was checking the WHOLE network tree for those printers it couldn't find right away. this may happen if they switched from a novell print server based system to a TCP/IP based system. Get rid of all of the old printers using those paths.

And yes, THAT happened to us as well.

Login to Give a bone

HERE are a few more tips that may help...

Login to Give a bone

We have had similar problems with 06. I peeved off all the IT guys here blaming the network, the lag only occured when using commands that access the network. We looked at the bad printers and firewall/AV software changes. Nothing seemed out of order.

Just for giggles we reloaded our original "MapLandDevelopmentDesktop" and "Land Desktop" Profiles, these where custumized for network also, and presto problem solved. We have not actually found the problem, we suspect corrupted CUIs, regardless it is a simple correction for a big headache.

I am lag free for 2 weeks now.

GL

Login to Give a bone

Does anyone have a final solution for this? I would dare to say I have the exact same problem with a client here. The big difference is we are still on 2002. Scenario goes something like this:

He received a new machine, Windows XP w/ACAD 2002

Worked great for a week or so, then developed an extreme slowness problem when anything revolving around network usage while in AutoCAD.

I re-installed CAD and also deleted his Windows user profile and created a new one. None of this worked.

If he works locally, everything appears to be fine. Unfortunately this is not very practical.

Can a corrupted MNU or MNS file cause this type of problem? I'm lost on a solution for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast