Thread: Best way to incorporate multiple pipe faces?

Login to Give a bone

Default Best way to incorporate multiple pipe faces?

I have been scouring these forums for clues to my dilemna. There are some great blocks out there, but nothing that seems to address my specific question.

I wish to create a DB containing multiple sizes of pipes, as viewed from the flange face. (I found the side view block and it is an invaluable learning tool.) The problem lies in that the geometry is almost strictly circles. This makes stretch parameters etc unusable to my knowledge.

Scale parameter is an option, but will get exceedingly ugly very quickly. The only thing I can come up with is a gigantic visiblity parameter. I just want to approach this task in an intelligent manner and not waste too much time.

A non-DB dwg is attached just to clarify my intention.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best way to incorporate multiple pipe faces?

if something like what i have attached is what you are after, then LOOKUPs are what you want to explore.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by keelay711
    I have been scouring these forums for clues to my dilemna. There are some great blocks out there, but nothing that seems to address my specific question.

I wish to create a DB containing multiple sizes of pipes, as viewed from the flange face. (I found the side view block and it is an invaluable learning tool.) The problem lies in that the geometry is almost strictly circles. This makes stretch parameters etc unusable to my knowledge.

Scale parameter is an option, but will get exceedingly ugly very quickly. The only thing I can come up with is a gigantic visiblity parameter. I just want to approach this task in an intelligent manner and not waste too much time.

A non-DB dwg is attached just to clarify my intention.
    as for the bolt holes, you'll still have to use a vis state for the quantities, but that shouldn't be too bad. I believe i have the start of exactly what you are after, but i'll have to ask the owner of it if it's ok to post their block for you, k?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

ok, i got permission to post this block. one thing to remember is that for the other vis states you'll need for the diff. hole qty's, you don't need to have a matching 'bolt dia.' parameter, turn the holes (and their point stuff) off, but still have the parameter shown if you want. it's only there to provide a reference for the lookup and to control the holes.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    as for the bolt holes, you'll still have to use a vis state for the quantities, but that shouldn't be too bad. I believe i have the start of exactly what you are after, but i'll have to ask the owner of it if it's ok to post their block for you, k?
    add your vis state to the lookup, and turn the node display off for the vis state parameter. that way you will always have just one selection window for the block's manipulation.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Hmmm.... interesting. Certainly "Scale" was the way I was envisioning it, though the "Move" for the bolt holes eluded me. I shall have to play with this and hone my DB manipulation skills!

Thanks for setting me on the right path. I hope that I may one day be able to assist another AUGI member in a similar way.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for setting me on the right path. I hope that I may one day be able to assist another AUGI member in a similar way.
    It'll be sooner than you think. Knowledge accumulates pretty quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Hmmm.... interesting. Certainly "Scale" was the way I was envisioning it, though the "Move" for the bolt holes eluded me. I shall have to play with this and hone my DB manipulation skills!

and, when you figure out how to add additional bolt holes to that flange, be sure to let us know

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    and, when you figure out how to add additional bolt holes to that flange, be sure to let us know

Sure. A huge vis table. :P

Login to Give a bone

Sure. A huge vis table. :P
    I wonder when they are gonna get that "think about a DB and it appears" feature working on the forums...