Thread: Acad 2007 opening instead of C3D 2007

Login to Give a bone

Question Acad 2007 opening instead of C3D 2007

Sometimes when I click my Civil 3D icon on my desktop, it opens up Acad 2007 instead of Civil 3D 2007. This just started this morning.

Any ideas? Paths?

I have our IT department looking into the problem, they shake their heads and say "we don't know anything about AutoCAD"

Help!!!!! Please

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Acad 2007 opening instead of C3D 2007

I have had similar problems with C3D opening as Plain AutoCAD, but what I have to add will not help you much, I don't think.

If I use the icon that opens C3D as Plain AutoCAD, then every drawing I try to open by double clicking on the dwg file opens in the plain version, until I open C3D and then it changes the dwg default back to C3D.

The only time that I had it not open completely either as plain AutoCAD or as Map 3D, was when I was trying to use computers that were weak on the required hardware to run C3D. It seemed as if it decided it was just to much and would not load completely or it would just close after 10 minutes of trying to open, these varied each time. These computers wouldn't hardly run C3D when it did work, so I didn't give it much thought and just purchased better computers. I know this is not much of an option for most users. I bench-marked these systems and turned that in with recommended specifications from Autodesk, so it was not hard to get approval for the new computers, as my employer was very eager to get C3D implemented.

I will also add that I'm very quick to reinstall any CAD software that doesn't want to work properly, since I have found over the years that it tends to be quicker to reinstall than to try and fix it or figure out why it is not working.

Sorry I didn't have a real answer for you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Acad 2007 opening instead of C3D 2007

at a guess, it's a profile issue. From a working instance of Civil3d, save a profile for a name, and then edit the Civil3D desktop icon to use that profile name when it starts.