Thread: Sharing Revit project with a third-party firm

Login to Give a bone

Default Sharing Revit project with a third-party firm

Hi, I've been working on a rather extensive revit project over the last few months consisting of elaborate schedules, custom families, 3D views, area plans, etc. The time has come where I need to hand the project over to a third party arch firm to develop exterior building renderings. I've spent several monthes developing this project and do not wish to hand the entire, intact revit file to this third party firm,. This company will also be using Revit t develop the exterior but I need a way where I can only give them the titleblock and building model without everything I set up in the project, i.e. views, un-used custom families, special area take-off plans, sections, elevations, etc.

How do I approach this? How do I prep my revit file to only give them the titleblock and building model without sitting here deleting views and sheets? I could do this but it would be rather time consuming.

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing Revit project with a third-party firm

i dont think it is possible to "protect" spefic areas of a revit file. Especially since the other firm is also using revit to develop the model.

is it a work set project? If so you could just turn off the exterior and start erasing. then a purge unused to get rid of the rest.

btw is the other firm handing the exteriors back to you? Sometime a little good will goes a long way.

Justin

I could stop if I wanted to Lashers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As Justin said, you can purge unused and get rid of all the special stuff you have not used in the model. If the other firm is just doing the external aspects, you could save the model under a different name and delete all your internal families etc. (then purge) so that you just send them the building shell.

Apart from that, any special families that remail and are needed for their modelling will have to "go with the flow" - you could also let them know that there are specific families in the model that are your creation and copyright protected . . .

If I am reading you note correctly they don't need anything other than walls, doors, windows, roofs and poss. floors (if they are seen) you should be able to strip out everything else.

Hope that helps

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Can you not just give them a DWG with solids or surfaces in it? are they going to render in Revit? If so, why can't you do it? If they're not using Revit to render, don't give them the Revit model!