See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 2 floor plans viewed in 1 drawing in plan view

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2 floor plans viewed in 1 drawing in plan view

What I am looking to do is to show how floor plans stack on top of each other in plan view for plumbing and framing purposes. I would like to be able to show how the second floor lines up with the first floor, but not have a mass of confusing lines. This needs to be done for sheet sets with dimensions.
    I know that I am asking a lot but I was wondering if there are those out there that have done this or do this regularly. I am using ADT2007.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2 floor plans viewed in 1 drawing in plan view

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to drop the bottom elevation of the view range. After you've done that, if you don't want to see extra lines you could use the "Createhlr" (create hidden line removal) from the plan view. This will give you a non-updatable 2-d block that you can modify at will. Just some thoughts.

Login to Give a bone

You could also write a lisp routine that will xref in the different floors and change their colors based on what level they are. To do this, your files will need to follow a strict naming convention. I would recommend moving this to the AutoLISP forum if that is the route you choose to go. Let me know if you would like it moved or if you go another route.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I think that what we will probably end up doing, is what David had suggested and creating a hidden line block to represent the "other" floor.

THanks for the suggestions.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bjensen.48049
    What I am looking to do is to show how floor plans stack on top of each other in plan view for plumbing and framing purposes. I would like to be able to show how the second floor lines up with the first floor, but not have a mass of confusing lines. This needs to be done for sheet sets with dimensions.
    I know that I am asking a lot but I was wondering if there are those out there that have done this or do this regularly. I am using ADT2007.
    Hi bjensen.48049, (Sorry I don't know your name)

I work for an electrical contractor and always need to see the floor above and below in order to see where to bring my conduits and cable trays through the slabs. I usually don't need to print the drawings like this but I have created a display configuration to let me see the floors above and below. I have included a sample project with the display configuration. If you open up the second floor drawing in the project (FP-02.dwg) you should see the floor below in magenta with hidden linetype and the floor above in yellow with hidden linetype. I have limited this configuration to only show walls and doors. The display configuration is named "Floor Above-Below" (I know, pretty creative name)

The key to the configuration is to set your Display Above Range and Display Below Range larger than your floor to floor height. In my sample project my floor to floor height is 10' and I have the Display Below Range set at -1'-0" and my Display Above Range set at 11'-0" You can view this by going to FORMAT - Display Manager - click the + sign next to Configurations, click the Floor Above-Below configuration and click on the cut planes tab.

I hope this will work for you and if you have any questions feel free to post back.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst
    Hi bjensen.48049, (Sorry I don't know your name)

I work for an electrical contractor and always need to see the floor above and below in order to see where to bring my conduits and cable trays through the slabs. I usually don't need to print the drawings like this but I have created a display configuration to let me see the floors above and below. I have included a sample project with the display configuration. If you open up the second floor drawing in the project (FP-02.dwg) you should see the floor below in magenta with hidden linetype and the floor above in yellow with hidden linetype. I have limited this configuration to only show walls and doors. The display configuration is named "Floor Above-Below" (I know, pretty creative name)

The key to the configuration is to set your Display Above Range and Display Below Range larger than your floor to floor height. In my sample project my floor to floor height is 10' and I have the Display Below Range set at -1'-0" and my Display Above Range set at 11'-0" You can view this by going to FORMAT - Display Manager - click the + sign next to Configurations, click the Floor Above-Below configuration and click on the cut planes tab.

I hope this will work for you and if you have any questions feel free to post back.
    Scott,
    How did you set your xrefs to display in the dashed / colored format? Where do I make/ change those setting.
    This looks like it would be exactly what I am looking to do.
    And thank you very much.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bjensen.48049
    Scott,
    How did you set your xrefs to display in the dashed / colored format? Where do I make/ change those setting.
    This looks like it would be exactly what I am looking to do.
    And thank you very much.
    Hi bjensen.48049,

You can find the floor above and below settings by going to:

FORMAT - Display Manager - Representations by Object - click the + sign next to walls (or doors) and Select the Above-Below Display Set.

You will see the Below Cut Plane and Above Cut Plane Display Components with the colors and linetypes I used. You could also create layers for how you want these items to show and assign that layer to those display components and change the color and linetype to BYBLOCK.

Also, please note that I only use this for viewing walls and doors above and below if you want to be able to see other objects you will need to add them to the Display Set.

Hope this helps,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you very much