Thread: Beam tag orientation?

Login to Give a bone

Default Beam tag orientation?

Ok. I've got an easy question for everyone. How do you change the orientation of a "Structural Framing Tag: Beam Tag: Boxed" in Revit Building 9.1 build 20060810_2300 in a plan view?

Before you answer, I noted the following items:

1. During placement, it will allow you to change the orientation in the pulldown list, though that doesn't seem to actually change the orientation of the tag.

2. After placement, the orientation pulldown list up in the toolbar is grayed out.

3. After placement, if you select the tag and view the properties, you'll note there is an "orientation" parameter. Changing this does not appear to change the orientation of the tag.

4. For all of the "on-the-ball" people out there who think a good workaround would be to "rotate" the tag . . . no such luck. Rotating the tag will change the location of the leader, not the orientation of the tag.

5. There is no apparent spot within the family (under "Edit Family") to change the orientation.

6. The tag seems to want to be the same orientation as the beam (parallel to it). I could rotate the beam to get the tag to be a different orientation, but what if I really want my beam running to and from the columns I have it supported by?

7. Even if there is another simple answer I may have overlooked, wouldn't the average idiot (like myself) tend to think one of the above options would do the trick? If so, wouldn't it make sense to have one of the above options do the trick?

I know Revit gets a lot of flack for various bugs / usability issues . . . maybe rightly so. It sure seems like by the time a software product such as this makes it to version 9.1, something as simple as the changing the orientation of a tag would work.

Forgive my sarcasm, this is just one of many usability problems I've experienced with Revit today! Get with it Revit!!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beam tag orientation?

Might want to try something like the attached tag. My problem was the opposite: I wanted detail items tagged like a beam (the items represented beams).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Comforting to know that 3 to 4 years later this still hasn't been addressed.

Login to Give a bone

Pretty frustrating that this issue is still an issue after 7, going on 8 years.

Login to Give a bone

Select the tag and change 'attached end' to 'free end'. Next grab the blue circles that control the leader, dragging these will orientate the tag. Using 'free end' should keep the tag at that orientation.