Thread: Revit Structure to SpaceGass

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Structure to SpaceGass

Hello AUGI world.

I am trying to link SpaceGass models with Revit Structure models. The only problem is that we are using Australian sections and as such SpaceGass can not "talk" to Revit. Has anyone had any experience with creating a "custom map file" or a translator file? If so what format does this follow so that Revit knows what members SpaceGass is using and vice versa.

Thanks in advance, Jimmy.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Structure to SpaceGass

Jimmy,

Which way are you trying to create your model?
    From Space Gass to Revit? or
    From Revit to Space Gass?

The Attached file is standard file that is generated from Space Gass for Mapping. There are Three rows with in the file. The first been the Space Gass name, 2nd Space Gass Libary, 3rd Revit Type Name.
    Either change you Revit type name to match the file or chage the text file to suit your Revit family type names.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Doc!

I have a couple more questions that are hopefully as straight forward as the last.

In that file should the Revit name contain the family name or just the type? If both how are they separated?

We have a family set up for BEAM_UC and BEAM_UB and then also COLUMN_UC and COLUMN_UB. This is so in our schedules it keeps beams and columns separate. Where as SpaceGass doesn't differentiate between columns and beams, is there any kind of work around for this?

Thanks again

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Revit Structure to SpaceGass

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_goodall View Post

In that file should the Revit name contain the family name or just the type? If both how are they separated?
    Only the type name.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_goodall View Post
    Thanks Doc!

We have a family set up for BEAM_UC and BEAM_UB and then also COLUMN_UC and COLUMN_UB. This is so in our schedules it keeps beams and columns separate. Where as SpaceGass doesn't differentiate between columns and beams, is there any kind of work around for this?
    Don't worry the guy's at Space Gass have this covered. Again your taking about family names and not type names. The Link know how to translate column and beams

Cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Guys

I am trying to do similar. I am able to push out the model from Revit to Space Gass but when I go to bring it back in I get the following:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING MESSAGES
    No translated Revit section name can be found in the custom translation file for SPACE GASS section name: 100 PFC (SPACE GASS Section No: 1)
    Revit Section: 100PFC family is not loaded in the current Revit model
    Existing Steel Member Design data cannot be located (R\Project3.@SD)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have just being trying minor changes to the model in space gass (move a member) but it is throwing up the above error back in Revit.
    I'm using Revit Structure 2012 SP2 (64 bit)
    If I push the model out from Revit to space gass and change a member size I get the following message on import. The new member size is loaded into Revit.
    WARNING MESSAGES
    No translated Revit section name can be found in the custom translation file for SPACE GASS section name: 250 UC 89.5 (SPACE GASS Section No: 1)
    Revit Section: 250UC89.5 family is not loaded in the current Revit model
    No translated Revit section name can be found in the custom translation file for SPACE GASS section name: 310 UB 32.0 (SPACE GASS Section No: 2)
    No Revit name translation exists for SPACE GASS Section No: 1
    This is the first time I am doing this exchange and am just using the Space Gass demo.
    Anyone got any ideas what might be happening? I have updated the mapping text file (modified the Family "Type" name to match what is in the Revit file.

Brian

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brenehan View Post
    Hi Guys

I have just being trying minor changes to the model in space gass (move a member) but it is throwing up the above error back in Revit.
    Simple! The way the link works is you can only change the properties of the member's in space gass you can't change the xyz properties of the member.
    Quote Originally Posted by brenehan View Post
    WARNING MESSAGES
    No translated Revit section name can be found in the custom translation file for SPACE GASS section name: 250 UC 89.5 (SPACE GASS Section No: 1)
    Revit Section: 250UC89.5 family is not loaded in the current Revit model
    No translated Revit section name can be found in the custom translation file for SPACE GASS section name: 310 UB 32.0 (SPACE GASS Section No: 2)
    No Revit name translation exists for SPACE GASS Section No: 1
    This is the first time I am doing this exchange and am just using the Space Gass demo.
    Anyone got any ideas what might be happening? I have updated the mapping text file (modified the Family "Type" name to match what is in the Revit file.

Brian
    Check that you have the latest .DLL from Space Gass. it get downloaded with each update.

Secondly You have to have the member load in Revit before you run the link. Ie if in space gass you change the member from a 250 to a 310 you need to have the 310 load in Revit. If not you get an error.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Dr Harry
    I've used the "check for updates" in Space Gass but it says I have the latest version. Is there another way to get the current .dll?
    Before I tried to bring the updated steel member into Revit, I had made sure that appropriate family type was loaded into Revit.
    With the link if new geometry is added in space gass, can that be brought back into Revit? If it is just syncing member sizes, it is a bit limiting.

Thanks
    Brian