Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacked walls changed to simple walls, problems arise.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Stacked walls changed to simple walls, problems arise.

SO here is our dilemma. We had a project with a bunch of stacked walls, with the lower portion a CMU stem wall to from 6" above slab to 3' below slab, and the upper portion a gyp and stud wall to various heights. There are also a bunch of simple stg and gyp walls from slab to various heights. For structural cost cutting reasons the stem walls where eliminated, it will now be the stud and gyp wall to slab, with a thickened slab footing under the load bearing ones.
    The change was made, where all the stacked walls where changed to the simple walls, and two things have reared their heads.
    1: some things seem to have been hosted by the stem wall portion of the stacked walls, so a bunch of openings disappeared, as well as some toilets, toilet partitions, etc. And...
    2: there are many locations where the new stud and gyp wall still extends below the slab by 3', causing cleanup problems in a huge number of plan views.

The changes already took a good 11 hours of work, and I am mostly trying to figure out the most expedient way to address everything. Either we go back to the model pre changes, and use a different approach to make the changes, or we try to expedite the cleanup process.

So, last issue first, is there a way to create a wall schedule that actually shows the bottom location of walls, so we can grab and edit all of them quickly?

Also, is there a way to change a stacked wall to a simple wall, and have items that where hosted in the compound portion that is going away become hosted in the compound portion that is staying? And failing that, is there a way to choose which piece of a compound wall things are hosted in, so when the compound wall gets VE'd out, we don't also loose a bunch of hosted items in the process.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gordon

I could stop if I wanted to cosmickingpin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stacked walls changed to simple walls, problems arise.

Although the Factory burns voodoo dolls of me every time I say this. Never, ever under any circumstance ever use stacked walls. Stacked walls are a disaster on projects over 100 square feet. I supposed if you have a very simple building typology requiring little variation, they might be bug free. Now some people swear by them, most have an autodesk logo on their pay stubs, but me, ****, got burned just like you, and and when a user in the office uses them, we still get all sorts of crashes and errors.
    Not sure of the particulars of your project and needs, but sounds to me like you are beginning to see the basic flaw with them.
    Consider using Curtain walls with wall types as panels, or if you do use them, host no object to them, and use a "dummy" wall for that. Far as I am concerned, they are a fart in a car. I suppose one could use them with painful S&M acts, and I think the CIA could try them out on its prisoners in Cuba.
    Last edited by cosmickingpin; 2007-02-22 at 07:30 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ill agree in most circumstances they are more trouble than theyre worth.. But we use them when necessary. Even if its just to place walls, and then to use "Break apart."

But, primarily, i try to use it where walls will remain the same thickness all the way from bottom to top. Otherwise.... eek?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Stacked walls changed to simple walls, problems arise.

Gordon,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I verified that openings that were placed on a subwall of a stacked wall disappear silently when the stacked wall type is changed to simple wall. They do remain if they were placed on the stacked wall itself.

I think the same will be true for other objects that only refer to the subwall (like toilets and perhaps some dimensions).

This can be fixed in the code, but we have not done it yet .

I do not have a magic bullet for you, other than suggesting to cut (Ctrl-X) the disappearing objects before changing the wall type, then "Paste Aligned->Same place" after the wall type has changed. This of course assumes you know which will disappear...

Tamas

PS: Comic, I placed a few more needles in my voodoo doll for you...

Login to Give a bone

I also advise care when using stacked walls. We use two separate walls and lock them together as necessary. Be careful with that as well. More control and better predictability

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I also use curtain wall with nested wall type. You then have control in plan view with the location line offset and the curtain grid in elevation. Plus you inserted door will schedule from and to room correctly (according that this feature is working correctly )

Login to Give a bone

As Tamas said, cutting the hosted items, replacing the walls and pasting-aligned is a solution. How about changing the stecked wall to 2 walls of the same type? So in essence, you would leave the same stacked wall and make it out of 2 gyp walls so it appears as one wall. Might be quicker and you'll just have a few cleanup operations to do in some section views.

A fart in the car? Nice one cosmik

Login to Give a bone

Oh, I wasn't referring to your avatar. I guess you are a little sensitive after all those folks made faces of your avatar in that picture you took at the Jet.

But even now we get problems when people try to edit stacked wall profiles and various joining, attaching conditions and hosted elements. I say any feature that costs you 11 hours is not a feature at all and should come with a warning label and child proof cap.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    A fart in the car? Nice one cosmik

Login to Give a bone

Count (Fart) speaking....

I get your point. There are other issues that I came across too, such as rooms not flowing through openings placed in stacked walls. Personally, nect time I need do model a stacked wall, I'll resort to do 2 walls on top of each other. There might be other issues with doors in that case, but I'll deal with them when they surface.

Ahhh Jet, I wanna go back =)

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Stacked walls changed to simple walls, problems arise.

I hear the music was absolutely horrible, almost insulting. Whoever paid for that I hope took a piece out of that DJ's @$$. I mean House of Pain's "jump around?" WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Count (Fart) speaking....

Ahhh Jet, I wanna go back =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast