Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor?

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor?

Background: I have a single drawing set up in AutoCAD 2007 which only contains dynamic blocks I'm building for our blocks palette. When I go to open the file I get the message in the attached image. I wanted to show the actual message instead of retyping. Also, I have checked all my dynamic blocks and all have the appropriate parameters and actions with no missing links. I can't figure out why I am getting this message. Any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to tyshofner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor?

ACAD is detecting the authoring elements. This means you probably have one of the dynamic block authoring elements in the drawing that is not part of a block definition. This is standard behavior when you open a drawing with the elements "exposed" or not part a defined block.

Ty

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor?

Hi "johnd"

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD 2007 General forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johnd
    Background: I have a single drawing set up in AutoCAD 2007 which only contains dynamic blocks I'm building for our blocks palette. When I go to open the file I get the message in the attached image. I wanted to show the actual message instead of retyping. Also, I have checked all my dynamic blocks and all have the appropriate parameters and actions with no missing links. I can't figure out why I am getting this message. Any help?
    did i read correctly in saying that this file is a single 'library' file for a group of DB's? if so, it sounds like you are working on DB's within a DB file. when you go into that file, are you in a yellow environment w/ all your DB's that you consider your library? could you please verify?

oh, and btw, you could say "no" and it shouldn't hurt anything with your block 'library' as long as the file you are working in itself isn't a tool palette tool. Ty is correct about why the message is coming up, you have some authoring elements right away in your library file. (if that's what it is)
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tyshofner
    ACAD is detecting the authoring elements. This means you probably have one of the dynamic block authoring elements in the drawing that is not part of a block definition. This is standard behavior when you open a drawing with the elements "exposed" or not part a defined block.

Ty
    How do you fix this so the authoring elements are no longer "exposed" or not part of a defined block?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.jones
    How do you fix this so the authoring elements are no longer "exposed" or not part of a defined block?
    without knowing much else, i'd insert the 'problem' file into a new dwg file, explode block, then re-name file to overwrite the problem file. i THINK it might fix your issue.

this will also give you an idea (prior to exploding) what the dynamic features are after you insert the goofy file.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    without knowing much else, i'd insert the 'problem' file into a new dwg file, explode block, then re-name file to overwrite the problem file. i THINK it might fix your issue.

this will also give you an idea (prior to exploding) what the dynamic features are after you insert the goofy file.
    This worked nicely. Thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Here's what I did to fix the problem. I noticed every time I opened the drawing and went straight into the block editor it would highlight a particular dynamic block even though all of them would be visible in the block editor. I then re-opened the drawing, deleted the "problem" block, re-inserted the block and all is well. I still don't necessarily understand what happened but it's fixed so far.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

I've held off with my opinion until I had something of value to contribute ...

This isn't a "problem" so much as it is a user-created situation. A LOT of blocks are left clicked (post-creation) and Wblocked to a central or network source. When this happens, you get this screen (see wblock procedure pic).

What this means is that - and this ONLY applies to Blocks that have been imbued with dynamic properties - this is now a block FILE and it has authoring elements (which come from the Dynamic Block Authoring Palette - hence: Authoring elements).

On the surface (viewed from the files tree) it looks like a regular DRAWING FILE. But when you attempt to open it, it pops up "that" message.

To be able to view and play with this file, it must be inserted into another file FIRST. Or it can be dragged and dropped into the AutoCAD window. Now, the drawing file has this block inserted into it and the block can now be explored.

When you double click a regular block (one without dynamic properties) it takes you right into the block editor. I don't know WHY it doesn't do that with Dynamic Blocks, aside from the fact that it has authoring elements, I mean. Regardless, I don't find this feature to be very useful because, through designcentre, you can pick out individual blocks as well as whole drawing files to insert. The same applies to the network palettes.

To get AROUND this issue and not deal with it again, it's imperative that - and this applies to ALL visitors of the Dynamic Blocks Forums - when WBlocking your block, that you insert it into a container file BEFORE posting it.

The way you do this is that in your WBlock screen (see wblock procedure2 pic) you select the OBJECTS manually. Click on the objects option and then select the objects by using the "Objects" click box (term???).

Now, when a drawing is saved it is saved as a DRAWING FILE and not as just a BLOCK FILE. So when you go to play with it, you CAN double click the file and it'll let you play and !!!oh look!! No authoring elements dialog box!

This is, 100% of the time, a user created scenario. If more people are careful about the way that files are posted, there won't be any more of those issues when downloading AUGI posted blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I have reverse requirement to finf how to protect Dynamic block? any help <PLEASE>....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast