Thread: 2 pick line based generic model end conditions

Login to Give a bone

Cool 2 pick line based generic model end conditions

I could have sworn that in the past, I've built generic line based families which mitered together at the ends allowing you to just draw a chain of any profile just like walls and have the ends clean up... but now I can't get it to work again.

Is there a way to control the corner condition of 2-pick families (aka Generic Line Based Families).

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2 pick line based generic model end conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Baros
    I could have sworn that in the past, I've built generic line based families which mitered together at the ends allowing you to just draw a chain of any profile just like walls and have the ends clean up... but now I can't get it to work again.

Is there a way to control the corner condition of 2-pick families (aka Generic Line Based Families).

Thanks.
    No - but you can use join geometry to clean the intersection if they overlap and are generic models.
    I've taken to making my countertops as generic families with "Casework" sub-category. This allows me to glue straight runs together. The layout goes much faster and I need far fewer families. Join geometry is not allowed on casework families.

Login to Give a bone

I've taken to making my countertops as generic families with "Casework" sub-category. This allows me to glue straight runs together.
    Thanks Aaron, never thought of that. I'll have to give that a shot. Have you ever made a line based generic model family for this type? Seems like that might work well also, since you could just pick your wall or whatever to make your countertop run.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

In this case, I have a profile which needs to turn the corner, so I just loaded in 3 different generic models for inside corner, outside corner, and but end, and swap them using a type parameter. Works just as well but not quite as fast as automatic.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ford347
    Thanks Aaron, never thought of that. I'll have to give that a shot. Have you ever made a line based generic model family for this type? Seems like that might work well also, since you could just pick your wall or whatever to make your countertop run.

Josh
    Yes - the families are line based.... You can pick edges of walls and trim them.

Login to Give a bone

One peculiar thing I noticed with a line based GM family I built (it's a wall finish family) is that if you have two ends of such family close together, they'll attach themselves together. But when you right click on the round drag handle, there's no "disallow join" or anything similar to what you get in walls. So for example if I create a segment and create another one perpendicular to the first, if they're close to each other, the two ends will coincide and attach to each other (they won't clean up like with using Join Geometry but they'll snap together).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    One peculiar thing I noticed with a line based GM family I built (it's a wall finish family) is that if you have two ends of such family close together, they'll attach themselves together. But when you right click on the round drag handle, there's no "disallow join" or anything similar to what you get in walls. So for example if I create a segment and create another one perpendicular to the first, if they're close to each other, the two ends will coincide and attach to each other (they won't clean up like with using Join Geometry but they'll snap together).
    Have you found any way to prevent the ends from snapping to each other?

Login to Give a bone

Nope, this seems to be built-in behavior. Moving the ends some distance away past the "snapping threshold" seems to be the only way.