Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: documenting room inventory

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default documenting room inventory

Hi

Simple question: I have a whole lot of rooms filled with all kind of items. for example computers. I would like to make a family of computers and give each computer I place a unique identity number.

I would like next then to create a room schedule that tells me which computer is where.

I am quiet sure this should be possible but I get stuck trying to add a label to a computer I can edit when I place the computer in a room. When I am in the family editor, editing the computer family, I have no option to add a label. (I used the metric furniture template, i tried some other templates but was unlucky there too) please help me out.

thank you for your time

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: documenting room inventory

Your request is a bit out of my league, but I suspect there may be some cheese at the end of the shared parameter maze. Do some searches on this in the forums and Revit help to see if you come up with something.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The shared parameter parts works for me but where I get stuck is this:

When I place the computer I would like to label it. At the moment it works when I go to properties and fill in one of the (shared) paramaters. I can then see which computer is in which room. But I would like to be able to place a computer give it a label. (so I see it's name in the view) and then see it's name in a schedule and in which room it is.

thanks for your time

Login to Give a bone

Just working something out what i just found is that You can create project parameter with a type set for <family type> and the type must correspond with the category you are going to be working with. Set the category for the project parameter to fall under rooms.Now if i select the room and go to its properties i can select which family is in the room if i do a room schedule i will be able to see which family is in a room.the down side is that the room schedule does not Automatically update if you place a new family and it does not read more than one family in one room you will have to go into a room property and tell it which family is in a room

Login to Give a bone

Furniture knows what room its in, so if you created everything as a furniture family you could do a furniture schedule and add the room field.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi thanks for the replies,

the furniture is showing up in my schedules that's no problem but when I place a computer for example. I would like to see a tag or label that I can edit in place. The value I fill in should show up in my schedule.

in other words if I have 100 computers with identification codes I would like to have those codes show up in the drawing and in the schedule and telling me in which room the are.

so far I have it working except the identification code also showing up in the floor plans

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

a little off topic, but having the furniture know its room is great! Is there any other families that know what room they are in? I guess i could test them out, but it would be nice if someone has a list....

And to bring up a point, i would be great that all families know what room they are in. One great example that has been taked about is door. We # our doors to match room numbers, and currently we need a manual number to do this. reading the room is a set in the right direction of automatic room/door numbers.

Justin

I could stop if I wanted to Adam Mac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: documenting room inventory

Quote Originally Posted by xiqx
    ....so far I have it working except the identification code also showing up in the floor plans
    Can you not set the visibility of the i.d. code tag to not show in plan OR assign a YES/NO parameter to it so you can manually turn the visibility on or off? You would do this within the computer family itself....

Adam

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by xiqx
    Hi thanks for the replies,

the furniture is showing up in my schedules that's no problem but when I place a computer for example. I would like to see a tag or label that I can edit in place. The value I fill in should show up in my schedule.

in other words if I have 100 computers with identification codes I would like to have those codes show up in the drawing and in the schedule and telling me in which room the are.

so far I have it working except the identification code also showing up in the floor plans
    i take it the computer is a specialty equipment family. just like the furniture tag, there is a tag for specialty equipment tag (i think), but if not, you would just have to create a tag family for your computer family. then you can tag it, edit it, and schedule it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

about doors,

Although I am not entirely sure but the first problem with the standard settings for rooms is: that the doors are never in a room. So first you would have to adjust the rooms to either incorporate the walls or only the doors.

Maybe the you could adjust your door family to read a parameter from the room. but this is speculative.

in other words it'll take some puzzling.

good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast