Thread: Civil 3D - standard list of point groups

Login to Give a bone

Default Civil 3D - standard list of point groups

Does anyone have a standard list of point groups that they would like to email me? it can be a text file,an autocad template or anything. just wanted to set up all my point groups in civil 3d. email me @ sherring@neiutah.com

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D - standard list of point groups

Quote Originally Posted by sherring
    Does anyone have a standard list of point groups that they would like to email me? it can be a text file,an autocad template or anything. just wanted to set up all my point groups in civil 3d. email me @ [ SNIP ]
    Hi "sherring"

First, you may wish to review "Forum Security" which can be found in the "AUGI Forum Guidelines".

Second, please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Standards forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Point Groups tend to be a pretty job-specific kind of thing. I don't think there's any such thing as a "standard list of point groups". You pretty much need to come up with your own.

To start, decide how you want to apply point styles and point label styles. In general, we find that it works best to use Description Keys to assign Point and Point Label styles directly to points that we import from FBK or CSV files, and to use Point and Point Label Overrides in the Point Group for points we create in Civil-3D, although this can vary. You basically need to decide for yourself what works best for you.

Then, once you decide how you want to assign your Point and Point Label styles, you can start creating your Point Groups. If you want to assign styles directly to points, then you need to make sure the Point Group is on Layer 0. If you want to assign styles using Point Groups, then you need to create a point group for each style.

A good thing to remember is that all points in a Point Group highlight together when you move the mouse over them, so you may want to create groups in such a way that logically-linked points are in the same group.

Finally, you can export points by Point Group, so you may want to create Point Groups explicitly for exporting points. And remember, you can put points in more than one Point Group. The display of the points is determined by the Point Group priority (right-click on Point Group Collection in Toolspace and edit their Properties to change the priority).

At least as of the 2007 version of C3D, it gets to be a real pain to work with Point Groups if you have a lot of them. So we generally like to keep our Point Groups down to the minimum number that still lets us do what we want.

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Civil 3D - standard list of point groups

I hope I am posting this in the correct location of Civil 3d expertise. I am having a problem with my Civil 3d settings. When my computer crashes and when I restore the program I do not get an open or save dialogue box. I feel like I am back in AutoCAD R12 when opening or saving a file. Help, I think I just have a setting that changes upon crashing, I just need to restore it.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Type "Filedia" Set the value to 1.

Some processes temporarily set this value to 0 while they're running and then return it to 1 when they're done. If the process is interrupted by the user or a system crash then the process doesn't complete and the value doesn't get reset.