See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Opening multiple DWG's from Windows Explorer opens multiple AutoCAD sessions

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Opening multiple DWG's from Windows Explorer opens multiple AutoCAD sessions

In windows explorer when I select more than 1 dwg file right click it, select open. I get as many autocad apps running as files I tried to open. How do I fix this?

MH

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Opening multiple DWG's from Windows Explorer opens multiple AutoCAD sessions

Hi Michael, welcome to AUGI.

In autocad, type SDI(enter) and give a value of zero.
    Alternatively, go to Tools\Options\System and uncheck the box labeled "Single drawing compatibility mode". This does the same thing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Opening multiple DWG's from Windows Explorer opens multiple AutoCAD sessions

Hi MH

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It could be worse. On my machine, If I open a cad file from explorer, then 2006 launches.

I am running 2007 and did not uninstall 2006.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    It could be worse. On my machine, If I open a cad file from explorer, then 2006 launches.

I am running 2007 and did not uninstall 2006.
    You should be able to fix this; until you open 2006 again. If you right click on a file, and say open with, you can browse through and make sure you pick the correct AutoCAD exe file; and make sure you check the box that says "always use this program". I've found that works unless I open 2006; then it defaults back to 2006 ~shrug~

Either that, or uninstall 2006

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thank for the advice. I just know it is going to revert itself, lol.

I have to keep 2006 around because in 2007 I cannot do an igesout
    without running MDT. Running MDT somehow ends up messing up
    all of my customizations. Good 'ole autocad.

I can do an igesout from vanilla 2006.

When I get 2008, I will make sure my settings are done correctly!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If you have multiple versions of AutoCAD istalled on your machine, when you open a drawing from Windows Explorer (if you don't already have AutoCAD open), the version of AutoCAD that opens is the LAST version that you had opened. Try it and you'll see.

Open 2006 and then close it... Now open a drawing from Explorer. It will open with 2006. Now close that and open 2007. Close it and open a drawing from Explorer again. It will open with 2007.

Moral of the story... if you use 2006 to export something, then before you want to open any drawings, re-open 2007 and you'll be fine. Works that way for me anyways.

Back to the original subject, I too have the problem of opening multiple sessions from Explorer in 2008. But only if I don't have AutoCAD open when I try to open multiple drawings at the same time. If AutoCAD is open, then they all open in the same session. SDI is set to 0. Even tried setting to 1, but that is way off. I have decided that I just need to have AutoCAD open before I try to open multiple drawings from Explorer, or just not open multiple drawings from Explorer. I know, that didn't help, but it's my work around.

I could stop if I wanted to jarod.tulanowski's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Brian I have the same problem it is a P.I.T.A Here is a work around. if you have explorer open and autocad 2008 open you can select the files in explorer and then drag them into Acad (the icon turns to an arrow when you hit a good spot usually over the icons not on the drawing area). After you release the mouse button walah the multiple drawings start to open. I still like the select files in explorer and right click it and hit open, but I havent figured out how to do that yet. anyone else have any sugestions?

Quote Originally Posted by brian.macdonald View Post
    Back to the original subject, I too have the problem of opening multiple sessions from Explorer in 2008. But only if I don't have AutoCAD open when I try to open multiple drawings at the same time. If AutoCAD is open, then they all open in the same session. SDI is set to 0. Even tried setting to 1, but that is way off. I have decided that I just need to have AutoCAD open before I try to open multiple drawings from Explorer, or just not open multiple drawings from Explorer. I know, that didn't help, but it's my work around.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

A couple of threads that look into this issue:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=61152

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...tiple+drawings

I don't have this problem with 2008. I can open multiple drawings in the same AutoCAD window from Windows Explorer. I seem to remember having trouble when I first installed, in which case one of the threads here helped me fix the problem.

I could stop if I wanted to jarod.tulanowski's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

that was the fix!!! thank you very much