Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimensioning Circles

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensioning Circles

Is there a way to make a length dimension for a circular type symbol/extrusion.

I have had this come up a few times where I would like to say that this circular object is like 6" away from this face, or centered on a face. The length dimension doesn't "adhere" to circles, and there does seem to be any snap or align which would make this possible (that I can find).

Right now, my problem is that some walls are displaying this effect with my receptacle symbol, I can hard dimension lines to be away from the wall like that but I cannot get the circle to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensioning Circles

The answer lies on the type of the family....If your duplex is like the duplex I have, the family of the annotation(symbol) is imported in the family of the duplex....so if the family of the annotation needs to have the "origin" located in the intersection of the circle....then, when re-loaded, the annotation will be alignable based on the "origin" which now would be the center of the circle......then you can dimension the center of the circle with the face of the wall.....

If I had more time I would send graphic examples, but I am on a deadline....I hope you get it working....

(BTW, you can activate the center mark of any circular object....but it becomes visible and will print....my solution above will allow you to locate the center of the wall and it won't print)

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski
    Is there a way to make a length dimension for a circular type symbol/extrusion.

I have had this come up a few times where I would like to say that this circular object is like 6" away from this face, or centered on a face. The length dimension doesn't "adhere" to circles, and there does seem to be any snap or align which would make this possible (that I can find).

Right now, my problem is that some walls are displaying this effect with my receptacle symbol, I can hard dimension lines to be away from the wall like that but I cannot get the circle to.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by luigi
    The answer lies on the type of the family....If your duplex is like the duplex I have, the family of the annotation(symbol) is imported in the family of the duplex....so if the family of the annotation needs to have the "origin" located in the intersection of the circle....then, when re-loaded, the annotation will be alignable based on the "origin" which now would be the center of the circle......then you can dimension the center of the circle with the face of the wall.....

If I had more time I would send graphic examples, but I am on a deadline....I hope you get it working....

(BTW, you can activate the center mark of any circular object....but it becomes visible and will print....my solution above will allow you to locate the center of the wall and it won't print)
    I am using symbolic lines, symbols don't align to anything and are even worse for this matter. The problem I think I am having is the symbolic lines are trying to host themselves to the center of the wall and not the face... for what seems to be no apparent reason.

Login to Give a bone

so what it eventually turned out to be was the receptacles were basing off the centers of the wall. I tried to lock a dimension to the top of the receptacle but it would always give me an error for some mind boggling reason. What I eventually ended up doing was dimensioning to a parameter and setting said parameter to the needed height. Then it suddenly worked from the face of the wall instead of the center. It really should of worked by locking a dimension, but I guess thats just another quirk of revit.

Login to Give a bone

In previous occasions, I have done what I suggested, and it works...

I am using symbolic lines, symbols don't align to anything and are even worse for this matter. The problem I think I am having is the symbolic lines are trying to host themselves to the center of the wall and not the face... for what seems to be no apparent reason.
    Last edited by luigi; 2007-03-26 at 09:17 PM.

Login to Give a bone

In previous occasions, I have done what I suggested, and it works...
    aye, messing with origins took up a good couple hours of my time on a VAV box with a similar problem (resulting in that solution), however I think this problem had more to do with Revit being a pain in the neck with its odd quirks.

I think the problem dealt with Revit not knowing where to "plant" the origin of the receptacle family within the wall.

I try to stay away from annotation symbols whenever possible as I find them a bit bulky. However thanks for the tip about aligning them, that was something that has puzzled me in the past.

(your family does work on the wide walls too)
    Last edited by mdanowski; 2007-03-26 at 09:21 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Symbolic lines, or Model Lines, or Detail Components, it doesn't matter what it is, everything is alignable...who ever created that family didn't test it on multiple projects....that is why, for the most part, I don't trust all the family that I didn't create......even the nice ones may have flaws....families need to be tested and tested, flexed, etc.

Maybe the sample I gave will help you figure it out....just make sure you turn on the reference planes and the Wall....

Later,

Luigi

Login to Give a bone

It isn't a Revit thing, but the family creator thing....the creator just aligned it to the center of the wall, not the face....that person wasn't thinking through...

aye, messing with origins took up a good couple hours of my time on a VAV box with a similar problem (resulting in that solution), however I think this problem had more to do with Revit being a pain in the neck with its odd quirks.

I think the problem dealt with Revit not knowing where to "plant" the origin of the receptacle family within the wall.

I try to stay away from annotation symbols whenever possible as I find them a bit bulky. However thanks for the tip about aligning them, that was something that has puzzled me in the past.

Login to Give a bone

Symbolic lines, or Model Lines, or Detail Components, it doesn't matter what it is, everything is alignable...who ever created that family didn't test it on multiple projects....that is why, for the most part, I don't trust all the family that I didn't create......even the nice ones may have flaws....families need to be tested and tested, flexed, etc.

Maybe the sample I gave will help you figure it out....just make sure you turn on the reference planes and the Wall....

Later,

Luigi
    Yeah, thats pretty much what happened. I made that family about a month ago and tested it on 4 7/8" wall, basing it off of locks to the origin (which was the face of the wall). I didn't really know it was messed up on bigger walls until Friday afternoon, and have been trying to figure it out since, and finally got it a few hours ago with that parametrized dimension.

EDIT
    Another quick question, how do you get the "Placement Height" and elevation to correspond? I can get the receptacle to bounce up and down in the family editor like I need it to, but when I load it in a project the only thing which its height will respond to is "elevation." Even if I change the elevation, the placement height will stay the same.

Thanks
    Last edited by mdanowski; 2007-03-26 at 09:54 PM.

Login to Give a bone

EDIT
    Another quick question, how do you get the "Placement Height" and elevation to correspond? I can get the receptacle to bounce up and down in the family editor like I need it to, but when I load it in a project the only thing which its height will respond to is "elevation." Even if I change the elevation, the placement height will stay the same.

Thanks
    are you replacing an already placed family? i tested this theory out, and it seems like it will work if you add a new one. try adding a new one and lemme know if it works....

aloha,
    jamie
    Jamie Casile
    CAD/BIM Manager
    Pacific CADD Services, Inc.
    ...My Lomography Page...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast