Thread: AutoCAD 2007 severely slow with network connection

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2007 severely slow with network connection

I'm stumped, can you help?

Right now I'm running AutoCAD 2007 (just upgraded from 2006) on a laptop and whenever I fat-finger a command, I have to wait 8-12 seconds before the "Unknown Command" error pops up. I took my computer home Friday and resumed work on the same drawings, which are located on my hard drive. This time around, ACAD worked perfectly - no lag time at all.

So today I came into the office and unplugged my network cable, just to see if that was the problem, and it was. ACAD worked fine.

So my obvious question is: why is this happening? It's like ACAD is looking on the network for information and after not finding any, it comes back with the error message. Is there a setting somewhere that I can disable? There are two others in my office, and they both are experiencing the same problem.

It also lags when I click on the "File" pull-down and type in "options".

Help please?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 severely slow with network connection

Two weeks ago I had to fly from Tampa to NJ to resolve a user having the same issues.

When the network cable was plugged in it took 45 sec to display the FILE pull-down.
    After a few hours of uninstalling, reinstalling, tweaking, and modding to no success it was decided that it was a corrupt user profile.

The user profile was renamed and when the user signed-on to create a new profile the issue was resolved.

(I do not know where the issue is in to user profile. I didn't have time to look that deep into it. Had to catch a plane)

ADD: Sorry... When I say user profile I am referring to C:\Documents and Settings\...
    Last edited by madcadder; 2007-04-09 at 03:33 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi "mteusink"

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hello,

We are having major speed issues with ACAD 2007. Could you please give more detail where this user profile is so I can try renaming the old one so ACAD will generate a new one. C:\Documents and Settings\ ?????

Thank you,
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

What I did was equal to cutting off the leg to heal the stubbed toe, but it worked when nothing else would.

Under "C:\Documents and Settings\" is "All Users", "Default User", "Local Service", "Network Service", your user name, etc. (my user name is "twinn" and I will use that for examples)

Rename "C:\Documents and Settings\twinn" to C:\Documents and Settings\twinnold" and reboot. Sign in as normal.

Everything is Gone. Your Favorites are gone, your Cookies gone, your Desktop, My Documents, any and all sub-folders are now back to their default "this is the first time you logged-on" look.

Test CAD. Should be fine. Close CAD.

Now you have to copy all the important stuff back up from "twinnold" to "twinn". I'd copy all info EXCEPT for the "Application Data" and "Local Settings" folders.
    Leaving: Cookies, Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, My Recent Documents, NetHood, PrintHood, SendTo, Templates.

I don't think you need to do UserData, WebEx, or WINDOWS

Reboot. Test CAD. Should still be fine. Close CAD.

For the "Application Data" and "Local Settings" sub-folders I'd copy them back one program at a time, rebooting and testing CAD after each program.

Note: Adobe has a sub-folder under "Application Data" and under "Local Settings" both. Both folders = One program.

Eventually, you will get every sub-folder copied back except for AutoCADs, you will be resolved, and you didn't lose any info for another program. Or you will find out which lil bugger that caused this before you get that far by having the issue pop back up after a sub-folder move and reboot.

Again... This is a dirty way to do it, but it got me back on the plane and home that night. User has reported no issues since.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the detailed assistance.

Take care,
    Steve

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Could it be as simple as telling Autocad to not check for updates when connected to the net?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Rod
    Could it be as simple as telling Autocad to not check for updates when connected to the net?
    We tried that originally and it didn't change anything.
    That does not mean it's not causing your issue.