Thread: How to model model mitered and non 90-degree curtain wall joins?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to model model mitered and non 90-degree curtain wall joins?

With a little trouble I can achieve a 90-degree butted curtain wall corner join by splitting the panel vertically along the joint and then making the outboard bit of glass to be an empty panel. It seems a hokey technique, but it works.

I'd like to miter the glass panels together when making a 90-degree angle, but that seems impossible. I tried the Edit Cut Profile tool, but it doesn't recognize curtain wall objects. (Why?)

However, a non-90-degree angle, has me completely stymied. I can't figure out a way to miter or butt the panels together at any angle other than zero or 90 degrees.

Help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to model model mitered and non 90-degree curtain wall joins?

You need to create custom curtain wall panels(family) for the corner conditions. bascially I just take the standard panel, create a ref. plane in elevation called extension left and ext. right, then a dim from the grid line to that ref plane, then align the glass extrusion to this. This lets me control the extension of the glass so it meets nicely. to place it, just click on one panel and then you choose all panels in the column.

I hope that made sense.

I use custom columns for the corner mullions, I've seen people build the mullion into the panel too.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to model model mitered and non 90-degree curtain wall joins?

Thanks for the reply, Scott. Creating a custom family works. In my case it turns out to be a pretty complex solution to a seemingly simple problem though.

If the Curtain Wall system family could just turn corners like any other wall life would be much simpler.