Thread: Multi-Building Project Setup

Login to Give a bone

Question Multi-Building Project Setup

Similar to a few threads I've just read through, we are starting a large, single-site, multi-building project that would seem to be made for Project Navigator - except for two things; the buildings are not at perfect ninety degree angles to one another (requiring multiple UCS's) and the floor-to-floor heights don't line up from Building A to Building B to Parkade C, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the Level/Division setup of this project? Or is it multiple Projects? The overall site plan is the only place we'd see all the buildings at the same time, but we may want to see what a cutplane at Building C Level Three looks like compared to the other buildings. And how do we deal with all the UCS's? Dragging Views into Sheets seems to "fix" things back to the WCS...

There's got to be a way... Has anyone out there mastered it? Do tell!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multi-Building Project Setup

Please reference the following threads:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=48112
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=32147

If you've already checked them out, cool. Let us know what specifically they did not answer.

FWIW, I personally would avoid using divisions on your scenario...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

I'm with steve on this one. I'd create seperate models and create one composite model consisting of the individuals, just for use in the campus rendering and campus master plan. Division could work for this, but I'd stay away from it. Currently I'm working on a 6 building campus. While all the bulidings are similar, we are going to issue each building as seperate volume (details included). So my approach was to develop the typical details for only one building, get that one building near complete and copy the details to the other buildings. This way Joe Contractor dosen't need to carry around 8 different volumes of drawings, Just 1.

Login to Give a bone

Here is what I do:

If I have repeating floor plans, I create those as elements. I create the exterior walls or "shell" in the constructs (foundation, 1st, 2nd, etc, roof). I then place the element plans (mirrored, copied etc etc) into the construct(s).

If I only have 3-5 buildings and they are similar (same windows, doors, wall types, etc) I put all the interior floor plans into the same element (one for the 1st floor, one for the 2nd floor, etc). This makes it very easy to manage styles and everything else. I also put all of the shells into one construct (one for the 1st floor, one for the 2nd floor etc as usual), for the same reason.

If you want a site plan, you merely xref the shells into a site plan and copy and xclip into position. By only xrefing the shells it is also easier on the cpu and memory.

You have to do a few things to make this work properly. Your element plans need to be arranged either horizontally or vertically in the dwg and spaced out. Your shells need to be arranged which ever way the element plans are not and also spaced apart. For example, If the element plans are arranged horizontally, the construct shells need to be arranged vertically.

This is because you will need to xclip the element plans (and construct shells) when laying them out for the con docs. If you use auto generated sections and elevations they "see" things that are xclipped. So, if things overlap (even though xclipped) the section/elevation will still cut through it and you will get garbage. You also have to live with the fact that the interior walls will not cleanup with the exterior "shell" walls without a lot of tedious work (I will explain if you want). But, no one really cares if the walls have a little line separating them (GCs et al) and it will certainly not impact the design or "buildability" of your project.

I always arrange my elements horizontally (along x axis) and my constructs vertically (along y axis), but that is just my preference. I have been doing this type of setup for years and I can smoke anyone in terms of production. I posted this approach on a bunch of different sites, including the Autodesk forums, and everyone seems to agree it is the way to go. I have not seen anyone come up with a better method.