Thread: AutoCAD 2006 - no longer trimming lines to the nearest line or object.

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2006 - no longer trimming lines to the nearest line or object.

Lately the trim command has started to act up. I usually use it followed by the enter command (select all) which trims lines to the nearest line or object. Now it trims in random places, not to the nearest line, sometimes chops out little line segments of the line, and sometimes it does what it's supposed to. It's quite annoying, and I'm clueless as to why this started to happen. Anyone else have this experience and know of fix for this.

Thanks.

I use Acad 2006, I have installed the latest Service Pack.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006 - no longer trimming lines to the nearest line or object.

Select the trim (or extend) command, press enter as usual, Type E for Edge.

Change the implied edge extension mode to No Extend (N), press enter.

This should return the trim/extend functions back to normality.

Regards

Steve

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006 - no longer trimming lines to the nearest line or object.

the lines all need to be coplanar also for trim to work efficiently. i have recieved countless drawings from manufacturers and subs where things are just slightly out of plane, and it causes nothing but headaches.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kastmiler
    Lately the trim command has started to act up. I usually use it followed by the enter command (select all) which trims lines to the nearest line or object. Now it trims in random places, not to the nearest line, sometimes chops out little line segments of the line, and sometimes it does what it's supposed to. It's quite annoying, and I'm clueless as to why this started to happen. Anyone else have this experience and know of fix for this.

Thanks.

I use Acad 2006, I have installed the latest Service Pack.
    it sounds like the system variable EDGEMODE got switched from 0 to 1, check to see if this is the problem.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone, as always this forum is awesome. People's willingness to help is the essence of this forum.

Seems like edgemode was the culprit.

Again thanks everyone.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was reading this post and I thought this would be helpful because I wasn't sure
    about the edgemode settings:

Controls how the TRIM and EXTEND commands determine cutting and boundary edges.

Uses the selected edge without an extensions

Extends or trims the selected object to an imaginary extension of the cutting or boundary edge

Lines, arcs, elliptical arcs, rays, and polylines are objects eligible for natural extension. The natural extension of a line or ray is an unbounded line (xline), an arc is a circle, and an elliptical arc is an ellipse. A polyline is broken down into its line and arc components, which are extended to their natural boundaries.