See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor

I have a drawing which I am using to build a dynamic blocks library. As far as I can tell I have made all the parameters connect with appropriate actions. However, every time I open the drawing I get an alert with the following message: "Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor?"

If I pick yes it takes me into the dynamic block editor with the entire drawing showing. Then if I close the editor it closes the drawing.

If I pick no I can go into the drawing without opening the editor. But then when I do my work, save, exit, and re-open the drawing I get the same "authoring elements" message. I have examined each block in the drawing looking for missing links (parameters without actions, etc.) and can find none. This is bugging me. Can anyone help?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor

In DB's this is normal behavior, that is if you make the block the drawing, and not have a block nested in the drawing. IMHO the way you described is the best way to make DB's. Since if you nest DB's there can be some looney behavior at times. Basically this message is letting you know that there is dynamicness within the drawing, and will not let you edit it as just a plain ole drawing. Kind of takes away someone accidentally editing the block without changing associated parameters and actions.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor

Quote Originally Posted by marklabell
    In DB's this is normal behavior, that is if you make the block the drawing, and not have a block nested in the drawing. IMHO the way you described is the best way to make DB's.
    this has been and i believe still is up for debate i used to know where the threads about it were, but couldnt find them. i personally nest them in a drawing - only drawback is creating a TP from the design center doesnt work this way.

Login to Give a bone

The way i do it which i havnt had any trouble with... Create a new drawing from acad.dwt to use as the library drawing. copy all the existing blocks into it and create all new ones in that drawing or copy them into it. To create TPs i just drag the block on the tool pallette from within the library drawing. then copy from TP into the company content browser. Havnt had any problems yet

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    this has been and i believe still is up for debate i used to know where the threads about it were, but couldnt find them. i personally nest them in a drawing - only drawback is creating a TP from the design center doesnt work this way.
    you can make a TP from both a folder of drawing files and a 'library' selection of DB's in a single drawing file from the Design Center. it makes no difference to the TP in either case. (last checked from ver. 2007)
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory
    The way i do it which i havnt had any trouble with... Create a new drawing from acad.dwt to use as the library drawing. copy all the existing blocks into it and create all new ones in that drawing or copy them into it. To create TPs i just drag the block on the tool pallette from within the library drawing. then copy from TP into the company content browser. Havnt had any problems yet
    can you explain how you do this? i'm still trying to find the 'holy grail' of networked TP's w/out having to first import them anyway in the first place.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Well basically we have one 'master' drawing with everything in it, styles & blocks. then all our TP reference to this drawing. (its a .dwg so its easier to open and edit with windows shortcuts)

Then we have a Tool catalog that our comps share.

Steps to create a Tool.

Create a temp TP
    Open source drawing
    Select block
    Drag block onto temp TP
    Copy tool
    Paste tool into the appropriate TP in the content browser
    Refresh networked TP's

Hope this help Chris

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory
    Well basically we have one 'master' drawing with everything in it, styles & blocks. then all our TP reference to this drawing. (its a .dwg so its easier to open and edit with windows shortcuts)

Then we have a Tool catalog that our comps share.

Steps to create a Tool.

Create a temp TP
    Open source drawing
    Select block
    Drag block onto temp TP
    Copy tool
    Paste tool into the appropriate TP in the content browser
    Refresh networked TP's

Hope this help Chris
    i'll get it, slowly but surely... so, what do you mean, or what is your process, of "refreshing" networked TP's? do you have to set the pathing up somehow in the 'files' tab of the options dialog also for TP's?
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Um, yea i think it helps. If you do, i think they get added to the content browers automatically.

Just create your Tool catalog on one comp once this is done just go to your content browser on the other comps, RClick and go 'add catalog' find the networked catalog, open it up and then drag the TPs into CAD as per normal. Then once the main catalog TPs are updated, the other ones on the individual comps just refresh by the refresh symbol in the bottom corner
    Last edited by Mr Cory; 2007-04-17 at 02:14 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Refresh the network TP's with this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast