See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Practice: Elevators

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Best Practice: Elevators

I am trying to figure out the best way to address elevators, especially in very tall buildings.
    One option is to pull some (cleaned up) DWG stuff into a Specialty Equipment family, and just repeat on every floor.
    Another option might be to put that family on the lowest floor only, then on each floor do a Plan Region in the shaft opening, that looks all the way down to the shaft floor, and thus a single set of linework is used on every floor, and alighment is guaranteed.
    Another thought is to do the family and place it on the bottom of the shaft, and use the invisible line trick, with a parameter, so get the elevator system as a single family to cross the cut plane of any given floor level, and thus show its graphics. This seems to be the best approach, at least theoretically.

So, anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gordon

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best Practice: Elevators

If you create your elevator shaft using a shaft opening you can include symbolic lines as part of your opening sketch. I think for most purposes this can show enough detail for overall plans.

Details at the elevator door are part of a separate family that creates the door opening at each level. I do it this way so I can scedule the openings as doors to include fire rating information.

For detail plans I have been using detail components that I simply copy to each detail view.
    Last edited by Dimitri Harvalias; 2007-04-17 at 02:28 AM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I've been itching to find a way to make a nice elevator family that would hit multiple floors, cut the shaft opening in multiple floors, and even populate doors per floor. However, I've been unable to find a good way to do so. Alas...

Right now we're just cutting a shaft opening, and placing detail lines in the opening.

Sigh....

Login to Give a bone

We include the elevator car as symbolic lines as part of the door family. This is plenty enough detail for us...
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

Here is a variation on your discussion; i'm working in Poland, and the graphic standards here for any floor openings (mechanical shaft or otherwise) are labelled not with an X, but a solid filled tapering "L" shape if the hole goes down though the floor, and a dashed line "7" in the opposite corner if the shaft is above you in the ceiling. I'm currently using a Detail Item family that has symbolic lines with parameters for turning off and on the "L" and "7" symbols.

The problem is that I must align this to the 4 sides of every shaft opening, and then i have to copy it onto all the floors where the shaft occurs, and turn on and off the L and 7 on the top and bottom levels of the shaft...
    Is there a way remove some steps or make the graphics automatically occur where on the floors where i need them? this whole thing starts to become a headache when a shaft changes and cuts fewer levels, then the detail items has to be manually deleted, or it appears in plan that the shaft is still there!

Login to Give a bone

Our elevator family has the cab modeled and can be placed at any height (instance parameter), but it also has the guide rails modeled with a parameter for its height. So set the rails to be the correct height, and then the family will be cut on every floor plan, and the symbolic lines used for the cab in plan view will show up on every plan.

lennonstefan you should be able to do something similar with your required graphics. Model at least the rails and give them a height parameter, and then use symbolic lines for the L and 7 shape. Then those symbolic lines should show up on ever floor, always in the same place.

Login to Give a bone

"patricks
    lennonstefan you should be able to do something similar with your required graphics. Model at least the rails and give them a height parameter, and then use symbolic lines for the L and 7 shape. Then those symbolic lines should show up on ever floor, always in the same place."

thank you, but i think i didn't state my question clearly.
    (see attached image...)
    the question is, can you make the symbolic lines in a shaft opening have automatically look like in the picture, depending on if the floor plan is the lowest level of the shaft, a middle floor, or the top floor of the shaft?

so far the best solution i have is to make a shaft, then add this Detail Item, with parametric symbolic lines and solid hatch. but this has to be manually added on each floor and aligned to the shaft, which seems to me like wasted time, and a place for errors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

You might be able to work something out with actual extrusions in the elevator family and careful visibility settings of those extrusions. Also make them have their own subcategory in case you need to hide them in RCP views or something.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The elevator families can be create to do multiple floors, etc. I am in the process of finishing a set that I believe I'm going to try to peddle to one or more elevator manufacturers, or a pay content site. I know Kone already can provide either a Revit model or a Sketchup model on some types from their website.

Mine has the doors as part of the family, tied to the elevator capacity, and size or become center opening ,etc. The family can even adjust for the bottom two floor levels being a different floor to floor height than the remaining upper floors.

I have chosen to drive my families with a Type Catalog, based upon the published information from the various manufacturers.

As a teaser, I've attached a PDF of the instructions I've written for using one of the families.This is connected to the family with a URL parameter. This will give some hint of the complexity that you get into with something with as many variables as elevators. I could have kept all elevators within one family, but broke it up because the Catalog files got way too long. I'm in the process of trying to verify as much of this information as I can with the major elevator manufacturers, but all but one manufacturer acts like this is beneath them to provide any information.

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott Womack; 2010-01-22 at 11:21 AM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Bloody hell!

That's quite some family you have there, Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast