Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parametric Array spacing control

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Array spacing control

I've been wasting a lot of time trying to get an array to dynamically change number and spacing based on a dimensions and it just seems like it can't be done. Does anyone have any experience with controlling an array spacing via parameters?

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Array spacing control

To clarify are we talking about an array in a family? If so I believe there was a tutorial on the subject in the tutorials forum that made a louver. Thats how I learned.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Like archjake said, if you are talking about within a family it can be done in a variety of ways. An Integer parameter and a Length parameter than are tied to the Count and distance of the array... Or the array can have a count Based on a math function of the length, or vice versa.

Length / 6" = Count

etc...

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes I am working on a family. I did figure out how to do it shortly after I posted. The problem I was having was that I did not dimension for the spacing in the first two objects in the array. I had it in the middle. and when the number of objects changed the dimension would be invalid (becuase they would be deleted) or it made a lock constraint invalid becuase the array would expand two ways... At least that's what I think was happening anyway. I resolved the issue by dimensioning fhe first two objects in the array to control the spacing with a formula (Height / Number of Louvers). Thanks for the tip on the tutorial, I'll be sure to study that. Another problem I was having was that I was trying to calculate the louver spacing in the main family vs. the nested louver family. Revit didn't like this at all and kept crashing on me. Autodesk probably got about 15 or so crash reports from me today.

Login to Give a bone

Something else you may want to consider, as far as the collapse of the Count and Dimesions in the array:

The same thing happens if someone enters a value of "1", because (as you discovered), making the array count 1 eliminates the geometry necessary for the array to stay flexible, so the dims go away.

Its been my experience, in this instance, it will let you make the value 1, but then when you try to increase it again, the family breaks.

The way ive gotten around that, is nest two seperate families in to the Overall Family. Nest one, called "Individual Item" and one that is "Array Item" Then, have the Count parameter, and a Family Type Parameter. You can use an If statement, to say "If the count is one, use the individual family" and if not, use the array family. The dim in the overall can be linked to the dim in the nested array familiy, and i believe it will alleviate that issue.

Its probably not necessary (why would you array something to only have one...) but i try to make the families so they wont collapse during use.

Login to Give a bone

Aaron,

Would you have a example of the family and nested families that you described? I am creating a window grill pattern with one family for the vertical menbers, and another for the horizontal members. Both of these work on an array, to create more members as the window gets taller or wider. At some point the windows height or width is small enough so that only one member (vertical or horizontal) is required. Since you cannot have an array of one, the geometry cannot be done. So I like the sound of Aaron's solution, but there must be some visibility controls involved. If count is 1, then the multiple member family is not visible and vice versa for the single member family if the count is 2? The same principle would apply for when no grill member should exist, a visibity parameter? Thanks.

The attachment is just a grid family.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I have an example here... Give me a few minutes to get some screen captures, since i only have the demo at home and cant save and upload the family...

Login to Give a bone

Okay, ill go through the steps of what i did, and you can try it unless someone else has an example for you to reverse engineer. Sorry about that, but my home computer is demo version, it wont save.

In IMAGE 1:

1. I made Family 1, just the one piece extrusion.

2. I made Family 2, and loaded family 1 in to it. Family 1 is then arrayed, and i put in a
    parameter for COUNT and DISTANCE. I then assigned the param. COUNT to the label of the array. I dimension the First blade to the second, and assign the label DISTANCE to that dimension. (i went bottom to bottom...)

3. I loaded both families in to Family 3, and placed them both, one on top of the other.
    The parameters are then set as follows, as shown:

F1V: (Yes/No instance) This will control Family 1 visibility. For the formula,
    input COUNT = 1. Go to Family 1 that you placed, and go to its properties. Click the gray area at the end of the Visible field, and tie it to F1V.

F2V: (Yes/No instance) This will control Family 2 visibility. For the formula,
    input COUNT > 1. Go to Family 2 that you placed, and go to its properties. Click the gray area at the end of the Visible field, and tie it to F2V.

Now, make a parameter DISTANCE (length) and ARRAYCOUNT (integer). Go to the Properties of Family 2, and click the gray box at the end of the COUNT field, and tie it to ARRAYCOUNT. Also tie DISTANCE in Family 2 to DISTANCE in Family 3.

Make the Formula for ARRAYCOUNT the following: if (Count>1, Count, 2)

What that is doing, is saying if the Value input (for COUNT) is greater than 1, use the value input. if its not greater than 1, use the value of 2, so the family doesnt collapse on itself. This wont matter, because the visibility parameter F2V will make Family 2 not present anyway.

**Peek at image 3. It demonstrates how the if statement, and the visibility parameters will behave. If the value is 1 (for COUNT), the if statement will save the arrays geometry by defaulting ARRAYCOUNT to 2. It will not display Family 2 in the project, so this is irrelevant.

When COUNT is greater than 2, Family 2 shows up with the actual value, and Family 1 is hidden.

4. Load Family 3 in to your project.

Now, in the properties of Family 3 (the actual "FAMILY"), you have a COUNT and a DISTANCE. Through the nested families, the ARRAYCOUNT parameter will make whichever one visible that should be, given the conditions.

If you decided to SHARE the families 1 and 2 (under fmaily catagories and settings, at the bottom) when you loaded them in to 3, (see image IN PROJECT).

Both Family 3 AND Family (whichever) will schedule if you made them shared. In my opinion, i wouldnt, because Family 3 is your "actual family" and 1 and 2 are just necessary evils. (Thats more an argument about what youre doing though...)

Also bear in mind, much like Parameters DISTANCE and COUNT, any other parameters you wish to be flexible from the project will have to be nested. For instance, if you want to control the width of the Louvers...

Family 1 Parameter WIDTH and Family 2 Parameter WIDTH must both be tied to FAMILY 3 Parameter WIDTH through their properties dialogue, before you load Family 3 in to a project. Because Family 3 is the real family.

I hope this makes sense...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; 2007-04-19 at 01:04 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Here is what I have done so far"

1) Created a single verticle and horizontal muntins within their own families. Each muntin is centered over the reference lines that are given by using a Generic Model family template. I have used dimensions to equal out the lengths when strentch on either side, and given this length a value of Muntin Length or Height. I also created a parameter for Muntin Depth that is equaled on both sides when stretched.

2) I have then nested those families within their own arrayed family. Again these are centered over the same reference lines within the Generic family and given the same dimensions parameter that are refereced back to the original family to allow for flexing. I then array the objects up or left depending of the orientation 3 times by using the "to 2nd point" option and not the "to last point". I assign a count variable to the arrayed parameter and then dimension from bottom to bottom from the original object to the second and give this a parameter of distance. If I flex it, the parameters work fine.

3) I now create a base Wndw Muntin Family that will host both arrayed families and also the single families in case the arrayed value is only 1. I am a little unsure of where to reference the position of these arrayed families. I currently have a reference line that has a parameter dimension assign to it as Muntin Start (since muntins are centered within the window, I'm trying to find the best way to insure that this new family will be centered within my window?). I know create new parameters named Count and Distance to reference back to the other parameters withing the arrayed families (here is where my problem lies). When I click on any arrayed familie, go to its properties to nest their count parameter, I get an error message and the nesting does not work. In fact my arrayed family gets deleted! I says that "Constraints aren't satisfied", "One or more references have become invalid", and "Can't make type "Horz. Array Muntin". This is where if I click "Remove constaints" and "Delete Dimension", my object gets deleted entirely.

Because of this, I am stuck on proceeding forward! Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by guitarchitect7; 2007-12-21 at 06:45 PM.

Login to Give a bone

There is a great video tutorial on this subject here:
    http://designreform.net/category/tut...vit-tutorials/

scroll down to:
    Autodesk Revit - Parametric Louver System Part 1

what we are now trying to do is create a curtain panel with a circular array.....any takers?

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast