Thread: Hardware suggestions, using AutoCAD with heavy 3D work and AutoPlant,

Login to Give a bone

Default Hardware suggestions, using AutoCAD with heavy 3D work and AutoPlant,

We are using AutoCAD with heavy 3D work using AutoPlant, and looking at getting a new computer due to the very large model bogging down our current system. I wanted to get some input on the computer, and especially the graphics card, we are looking into. Any problems people have had with it would be especially helpful.

Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Quad Core Intel Xeon, 2.66 GHz, 2x 4MB L2 cache
    memory: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 522 MHz ECC
    graphics: 512MB PCIe nVidia Quadro FX 4500

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hardware suggestions, using AutoCAD with heavy 3D work and AutoPlant,

Quote Originally Posted by david.bishop
    We are using AutoCAD with heavy 3D work using AutoPlant, and looking at getting a new computer due to the very large model bogging down our current system. I wanted to get some input on the computer, and especially the graphics card, we are looking into. Any problems people have had with it would be especially helpful.

Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Quad Core Intel Xeon, 2.66 GHz, 2x 4MB L2 cache
    AutoCAD will not take too much advantage in the Quad core setup, except in rendering...Other than that, it is a beautiful machine and you should have no problems with it...If you can spend that kind of money, look into Boxx...These are specifically designed for heavy graphics that are greatness!!!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hardware suggestions, using AutoCAD with heavy 3D work and AutoPlant,

It should run they software fine but I would suggest that it is even a bit overkill, Acad system requirements and AutoPlant system requirments don't need anywhere near that specification. If cost is of no issue it would certainly be a nice machine to work on.

I'm assuming you are looking a Vista rather than XP since you mention 4gb of RAM.

Login to Give a bone

I just recently persuaded my boss to get me (and the other heavy CAD guy) an @Xi machine...

2.4 Ghz C2D
    3 Gig RAM
    (2) 160 GB HD (RAID 0)
    QuadroFX 550
    (No monitor - we already have 19" LCD's)

That was only about US$1600...I would have liked the QuadroFX 1500, but that is about US$500 more that the 550...I have a 540 now and that works great...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    It should run they software fine but I would suggest that it is even a bit overkill, Acad system requirements and AutoPlant system requirments don't need anywhere near that specification. If cost is of no issue it would certainly be a nice machine to work on.

I'm assuming you are looking a Vista rather than XP since you mention 4gb of RAM.
    The machine we are currently using is actually a very good CAD machine and is maxed on 4gb memory. But the model has gotten so big it is struggling, especially in rendering and rotating. So we are going to aquire one very high end computer and see if it makes a difference. Dell is our company standard, so we have to stick with them.

Thanks for all the input!

Login to Give a bone

The machine we are currently using is actually a very good CAD machine and is maxed on 4gb memory. But the model has gotten so big it is struggling, especially in rendering and rotating. So we are going to aquire one very high end computer and see if it makes a difference. Dell is our company standard, so we have to stick with them.

Thanks for all the input!
    Make sure you get the 64 Bit Windows so you can have 4GB of RAM...Otherwise Windows will only see 3.5GB...