See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Straightening skewed elevation views

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Straightening skewed elevation views

I'm looking at a project that has some skewed elevation views. Basically, when an elevation tag was placed in plan, in the vicinity there was a segmented curtain wall (approximating a curve) and the elevation tag snapped perpendicular to one of the CW faces, which was not perfectly perpendicular to what the user wanted it to be. I cannot find a way to rotate this view to be perfectly perpendicular. I can recreate the elevation but was wondering if there's a trick to fixing it without re-doing the view (there's a lot of extra linework editing etc. in the current view, which I'd rather not have to redo). Seems odd that you cannot even snap to the direction of the cut plane in plan; if this was possible then this wouldn't be an issue. Thanks in dvance.
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2007-06-30 at 07:56 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Straightening skewed elevation views

Wow, I found a way worthy of a tutorial I'll write one up when I get a chance.

In essence, orient your view to the skewed section/elevation. Then rotate your 3D view so you can see the edge of the section box. Now draw some model lines by picking on some objects that are being cut by the section box. If you don't have any of those, just draw some temporary walls that cross that section box. When you draw model lines by picking walls, the model line will stop exactly at the section box, so all you need is two of these lines and you've got your 2 points to draw a detail/model line in plan. That line will lie exactly on your cut plane. If the angle is too small (mine was only 0.625 degrees off), Revit won't rotate it. I had to rotate the elevation and the line by an arbitrary amount first and then straightened them again by repeating a second time.

In the process I discovered a very odd bug. If you try and draw a model line that snaps to the end of a model line that was created by picking on sectioned objects, the line won't be visible in the 3D view, but is visible in plan! If you nudge that line or move it by a set distance away from that snapped corner, it re-appears.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Straightening skewed elevation views

Had some time to kill, so here's a little tutorial

EDIT 2015-11-25: Trey's method below (click here) is faster than the method posted here. Both achieve the same thing with utmost accuracy but using a ref. plane in the elevation view gives you a perpendicular line to the cut plane, which you can then rotate together with the elevation tag to straighten things up.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2015-11-25 at 10:04 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

David, I've had this same problem but here's the solution I used. Very simple and accomplishes the same thing, unless I'm missing something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thomas, that's the same concept I'm using. However, it's not accurate, it's an approximation, since you cannot snap to the endpoints/intersections of the elevation tag. With the method I described, you'll be able to get it perfectly aligned since you're actually snapping to the endpoints of the model lines (the ones cut by the section box). It's also a great method for when you want to create a ref. plane that lies exactly on the cut plane of a section/elevation view. Unfortunately it's very difficult to get an elevation or a section cut plane exactly where you want it (unless you use the Attach to Grid option, which puts the elevation cut plane exactly on the grid line). Even when drawing a new section, you can only snap to a gridline or ref. plane.

With this method, if the elevation has already been placed, you could sketch a model line or ref. plane exactly at the cut plane and then rotate/move both tag & line and rotate them exactly where you want them, instead of having to re-create the view and using the grid trick.

Login to Give a bone

Update:

In Revit 2010, the View -> Orient -> To Other View command is no longer in the menu, and the Ribbon doesn't have a replacement for it, which means you can no longer follow Dave B's process exactly. Fear not, however. There's only one slight change.

The replacement for the View -> Orient -> To Other View command is to right-click on the View Cube in a 3D View and Select Orient To View -> Elevations and the select your elevation from the list.
    Last edited by DaveP; 2013-02-11 at 02:23 PM.