See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straightening skewed elevation views

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Straightening skewed elevation views

Thanks Dave, you also saved my bacon today after going around in loops trying to work out why 1 of our elevations was exported incorrectly. Turns out it was a skewed Elev.
    cheers

Login to Give a bone

Good to hear, I still find elevations/sections slightly rotated from time to time, in which dimensions won't work. So after all these years, it still comes in handy!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    Good to hear, I still find elevations/sections slightly rotated from time to time, in which dimensions won't work. So after all these years, it still comes in handy!
    I tihnk there is an easier way to do this. It might not have existed when this tutorial was first written 6 years ago. But now if you have an elevation marker slightly off axis you can fix it by selecting the body portion of the elevation marker and then rather than use the rotate command from the Modify tab, use the rotate grip that is shown to rotate the elevation marker. Using this rotate gizmo the "hunting" behavior (the processuses to snap an elevation parallel to a plane in the project) will be used during the rotation and the elevation will "snap" into place.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the tip Jeff! Didn't realize that, although it is finicky to get it to work since I'm not seeing any tracking feedback as to what it's snapping to. Unfortunately this is only available for Elevations, so Sections still need to use this long-winded technique to be corrected.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah sections are a bit more tricky because they don't have the "hunting" behavior elevations do. There is more of a chance the section was intentionally drawn off axis. I am not totally sure what the hunting behavior of the elevation markers tracks but if I had to guess you could isolate the walls and the elevation marker with the sunglasses first and then use the rotate gizmo to insure you were rotating to the wall. With the visibility of other categories off they would not be "seen" by the elevation marker.

Login to Give a bone

Jeff, it seems that the snapping/hunting behavior is not very reliable and sometimes it just plain doesn't work. I've had this happen on some occasions and other users are reporting similar experiences. Here's a post (OMG I'm going to cause a circular reference now as that post is referencing this one!):

http://www.revitcity.com/forums.php?...hread_id=31145

I'm not sure this is happening because there might be too many things in the view and the elevation tag just doesn't try due to performance (hardcoded behavior?) but if I recall, I temporarily isolated the wall I cared to snap to and the elevation tag but it still wouldn't snap. Might be worth a try if all else fails, and then on to the long-winded method described in this post, which is recommended only when you have a lot of time invested alread in detailing a particular elevation with tags, notes, etc.
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2015-11-25 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Login to Give a bone

Hey Dave... this thread is a couple of years old, but I was putting together some Tips & Tricks for AU this year and I wondered if you know this method:

For sections (which don’t rotate with snaps) or for elevations if rotating the symbol didn’t work…

1 Open the section (or elevation) that’s slightly off. In Architecture tab > Workplane panel, click Ref Plane and place a vertical ref plane (let’s call it Bob) in the view.

2 Open the plan view and select Bob. Move Bob so that it touches a face of the geometry (a wall, probably) to which you want to align.

3 Select both the ref plane and the section line and click the Rotate tool in the ribbon. Click-drag the rotate centroid and drop it on the intersection of Bob and the element face. Click further up on Bob to begin the rotate, and then click further up on the element face to snap the rotate. Done.

Also, if some of the walls in the project are slightly askew and this issue keeps happening... maybe THEY should be fixed instead of the elevations/sections! Assuming the geometry should be aligned with project north: draw some vertical and horizontal ref planes, place an angular dim between the geometry and its perpendicular ref plane, select the geometry to which the dim is referencing, and directly type “90” (degrees) into the dim. The geometry (which was probably something like 90.00507 degrees) is now squared-up! Repeat this until all is square.

What do you think? Reasonable advice?

Thanks,
    Trey
    Last edited by TreyK; 2015-11-22 at 08:59 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Trey, will this work with your example of the angle being off by 0.00507 degrees?
    I've always had problems rotating by a tiny amount like that. Revit wants to snap to even degrees, or at least it seems to prefer the original angle.
    In the past, I've had to Rotate too far (like 10 or 20 degrees) and then rotate back to the angle that's only slightly different from the original.

And thanks </sarcasm> for reminding me of the walls being skewed. On one of our earlier projects, we that we we being smart and use the "Pick Line" tool to trace our structural grids. Only weeks later when we tried adding dimensions and couldn't (because things weren't parallel) did we learn the they were off by a few hundredths of a degree. But across a 350' building, that added up to 4 or 5 inches. So we had to first go back as you suggested and add Angular Dimensions (cranked to 8 decimal places) to find out which were off. Then crawled our way across the building & typing in 90.0 ti all those that were off. And THEN going back to fix up walls. Lots of remodeling.
    That was the last time we trusted a linked DWG.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Dave--

>> will this work with your example of the angle being off by 0.00507 degrees?

Yeah, this will work. You can verify it by (temporarily) setting your dimension type parameter accuracy out to 12 digits. You'll see the dimension reporting something like "90.00507011744". After you type in "90" it will display "90.000000000000". Yay!

Trey

Login to Give a bone

Hey Trey, love it! It's definitely faster than my method I tied with an angle of 0.0057 degrees but I had to rotate Bob and the elevation tag to align them with the skewed wall, then rotated back by exactly 90 degrees. For slightly larger skewed angles, this might not be necessary (actually my original instructions on this part still apply; using he ref. plane though is faster than having to create a 3D view and 3 model lines). Thumbs up!

Yes I do agree that if the walls are erroneously skewed, they should be fixed. However any time I came across a skewed elevation, it's mostly been because Revit inferred the wrong face to be perpendicular to, such as in my original example of a curtain wall panel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12