Thread: Plumbing Fittings

Login to Give a bone

Default Plumbing Fittings

I don't run into this problem too often, but when I do it seriously bugs me.

I try to draw a plumbing line, say 15' across, then I want to change elevation so I press "e" enter my elevation, and continue drawing. A plumbing fitting appears. I can select that fitting right-click and modify it as I see fit.
    Then I close that drawing and try to repeat those steps. A plumbing fitting appears, but this time when I select it, it highlights not only the fitting but the entire line up until that point so I can't modify the fitting, just the plumbing line.
    Is there something I'm missing, or is this a glitch?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plumbing Fittings

I am assuming you are running ABS 2007, and drawing plumbing lines (not schematic).

That being said: It is my understanding that once you drop in a plumbing line and fittings they all become one "item" when you try to select it. The other things I have heard about plumbing fittings: If you need a different fitting in there you have to delete it and place a new one in there. The fittings should move with the "host" pipe. You do not have independent control of moving the fittings vs/ moving the pipe.

Not a lot of flexibility on the plumbing piping lines.

Login to Give a bone

I could've sworn I've done it before. Maybe I'm just losing it. I remember early on I didn't know the difference between schematic pipe and schematic lines, and I made a few mistakes. However, I remembered the fittings appearing when I changed elevation midway through running schematic pipe (plumbing line) a fitting appearing, and I could move that fitting freely. It's been my expereince that schematic symbols don't automatically appear because you can't change elevations with a schematic line. Maybe it was a temporary glitch. In any case, if they haven't made plumbing lines flexible in 2008, they should do that next time.

Login to Give a bone

Nevermind, I see what's going on. If I start a new plumbing line in the middle of a previously drawn plumbing line and change the elevation, the fitting is free to move afterwards. If it's one plumbing line the fitting is attached. If it's a second plumbing line, the fitting is a separate entity. Hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Plumbing Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by bbambu
    I could've sworn I've done it before. Maybe I'm just losing it. I remember early on I didn't know the difference between schematic pipe and schematic lines, and I made a few mistakes. However, I remembered the fittings appearing when I changed elevation midway through running schematic pipe (plumbing line) a fitting appearing, and I could move that fitting freely. It's been my expereince that schematic symbols don't automatically appear because you can't change elevations with a schematic line. Maybe it was a temporary glitch. In any case, if they haven't made plumbing lines flexible in 2008, they should do that next time.
    To me, the most difference between schematic pipe and the s-line is the first one can use pipe sizing in ABS, not the s-line. S-line is better for diagram drawing and it has ortho and isometric choices.

For the fitting, the best way to do maybe to add schematic fittings from the tool palettes both for plan and diagram. However it is sometimes hard to adjust the direction of fittings on diagram.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by claire1027
    To me, the most difference between schematic pipe and the s-line is the first one can use pipe sizing in ABS, not the s-line. S-line is better for diagram drawing and it has ortho and isometric choices.

For the fitting, the best way to do maybe to add schematic fittings from the tool palettes both for plan and diagram. However it is sometimes hard to adjust the direction of fittings on diagram.
    To adjust the direction, you just right-click, schematic pipe properties, Anchor tab, Z Rotation.
    That's not too hard, just annoying.

Whenever I need to adjust the elevation at the end of a line is when I have trouble. If I'm creating a branch from the middle of an existing line it's fine. At the end of a line it automatically puts a plumbing fitting that is at a different scale than if I just clicked on Plumbing Fitting button in the tool palette. I can insert a plumbing fitting fine, but I can't get rid of the fitting that automatically appeared. Even if I break the line, then make the end points touch, a plumbing fitting still automatically appears.
    I wish I could make a video. Explaining this in text is difficult.