Thread: SSM views - Xrefs not retaining colors

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default SSM views - Xrefs not retaining colors

I am having some issue with xref'd drawings retaining correct layer colors when I drag them onto a sheet using SSM.

Example. I have a base architectural floor plan that I then reference into a furniture or finish plan. It is office policy that we change the layer colors of the referenced architectural background to a grey shade so that the furniture or finishs stand out. So I change all of the xref'd layers of the architectural background to color 252 in my new furniture / finish plan. Do my work on that plan and then save a view of that plan. When I drag that furniture plan view into a sheet file the layer colors of the base architectural background have all returned to there original color. Visretain is set to "1" in all of the files.

Is this an issue becuase the arch. background is a nested Xref?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SSM views - Xrefs not retaining colors

Quote Originally Posted by tim.101799
    I am having some issue with xref'd drawings retaining correct layer colors when I drag them onto a sheet using SSM.

Example. I have a base architectural floor plan that I then reference into a furniture or finish plan. It is office policy that we change the layer colors of the referenced architectural background to a grey shade so that the furniture or finishs stand out. So I change all of the xref'd layers of the architectural background to color 252 in my new furniture / finish plan. Do my work on that plan and then save a view of that plan. When I drag that furniture plan view into a sheet file the layer colors of the base architectural background have all returned to there original color. Visretain is set to "1" in all of the files.

Is this an issue becuase the arch. background is a nested Xref?
    i'd say "yes"

btw, did i answer your other issue w/ ssm templates earlier? just curious if that was the issue...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    i'd say "yes"

btw, did i answer your other issue w/ ssm templates earlier? just curious if that was the issue...
    On my earlier problem, yes that was the problem. Thanks for your help.

Login to Give a bone

I've been able to fix this by using "VISRETAIN" "1" "reload". I then set it back to "0". Or you could detach then re-attach xref, but this will thaw all layers in all viewports I beleive.
    Last edited by jmcbride.161140; 2008-04-02 at 07:21 PM. Reason: forgot one step

Login to Give a bone

I'm having the exact same problem. I have not found a solution as of yet. Anyone else? I feel like this should "just work"

It's definitely a nested xref issue because if I change all the layers to color 14 in the survey, it works fine. So the views are not honoring the layer color overrides for nested xrefs.

My workaround was to create a small script that folks can run on the sheet drawing(s) that simply overrides the color there.

Code:
    (command "-layer" "color" "14" "X-NY-SURVEY-URS-002|*" "")
    You'd of course substitute the the color number with the desired color and the code in red with your Xref name.

I created an icon on the tool palettes for my users until I can find a resolution.

Hope this helps a bit.

-JP
    Last edited by jpcadconsulting347236; 2015-07-28 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Login to Give a bone

Here's some better code that changes the color in "All but the current viewport", not globally. If you like that kind of thing better.

Code:
    C^C^(command "vplayer" "color" "14" "X-NY-SURVEY-URS-002|*" "X" "")
    I think this way you don't have to worry about the VISRETAIN setting as the Viewport is retaining the color overrides.
    Last edited by jpcadconsulting347236; 2015-07-28 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Code Syntax, additional info

Login to Give a bone

That's the way it's designed to work. nesting xrefs inside of xrefs adds a _lot_ of complexity, and it's something I strenuously try to avoid. sometimes it is critical (or extremely convenient), but not very often.

And after all, one you set your sheets up, whether attached and nested, or overlain, you really don't need to mess with it again.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks cadtag,

The problem is that we are using SSM and we have created a "collector drawing" that has all our xrefs in it. We make our Models Views there and then place those views on a sheet using the Sheet Set Manager.

The views honor all the other layer settings we set up in the view (on/off, freeze/thaw, etc.). They even honor Zoom and UCS settings, just not the layer color.

It adds a step to what should be a one step process.

If there is a better way to go about creating the Model Views or a better way to organize the xrefs, I'm all ears.

Login to Give a bone

so far, model views are something I've had no need for. Given what I do, they just add crapola and cruft to my sheets. (Speaking as one who has inherited jobs that tried to use them -- not sure if the guy who set them up did them appropriately or not, he did have a tendency to use the latest thing whether it was useful, usable, helpful, or not. And was completely self taught)