Thread: Autocad to product inventory

Login to Give a bone

Smile Autocad to product inventory

Hello everyone, first let me start by saying I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post in but I figured Mike P, with his infinite wisdom, would point me in the right direction.

I want to know what are some of the ways to connect to our companies inventory via autocad. We have an inventory database with all our timber and hardware, each given product codes. What I initially thought to do was to use attributes in my model, extract them and shoot them over to access, to generate a bom, it works but kinda klunky. Its not streamline and it doesn't let me look at our current inventory. Is anybody else in this situation. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laurie

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad to product inventory

Quote Originally Posted by lfish
    Hello everyone, first let me start by saying I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post in but I figured Mike P, with his infinite wisdom, would point me in the right direction.

I want to know what are some of the ways to connect to our companies inventory via autocad. We have an inventory database with all our timber and hardware, each given product codes. What I initially thought to do was to use attributes in my model, extract them and shoot them over to access, to generate a bom, it works but kinda klunky. Its not streamline and it doesn't let me look at our current inventory. Is anybody else in this situation. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laurie
    AutoCAD 2008 has added the ability to link an excel table to AutoCAD so if you change the table in AutoCAD it will update excel, and if you change excel, it will update AutoCAD. Is this what you are looking for?

Login to Give a bone

You know I read that to, to bad we just upgraded to 2007. What I really want to do is have access to our database. We have a product inventory database set up in MS Access already, what I want to do is to be able to access that database while I'm in Autocad. That way I can generate a bom and link the bom in the drawing to the product inventory database in MS Access. I hope I'm not confusing you too much, though it confuses me. Would CAFM software aid in this. From what I've read this can be done via VBA and other programming but my programming skills are nill but I would like to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

You might try out the ATP program. There are some archived classes which allows one to connect to a database through AutoCAD, "ATP122 Back by popular demand! Linking AutoCAD to Access using DB connect".
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt