Thread: CAD Manager or Consultant providing similar functions, which job to go for?

Login to Give a bone

Question CAD Manager or Consultant providing similar functions, which job to go for?

How would you choose between the 2 for a job? Would you rather work as a consultant for multiple firms in the architectural industry, or work for one specific firm that has multiple offices as a CAD manager?

Job details would be similar between the 2 jobs, in that I would provide training, implementation of software and tech support for autodesk products. The main difference would be location. Curently I work as a consultant for firms providing these resources. I have always gotten offers to come on board at the firms I work with and these offers have gotten more attractive lately. Not due to money, but more because of wanting to get exposure in a different environment.

What type of things should I be wary of before excepting a position as a cad manager? How do I know if this is a job I want to get into? If you are a CAD manager, what things do you love/hate about your job?

I'd appreciate any feedback provided!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD Manager or Consultant providing similar functions, which job to go for?

have been a consultant too - had a hasty life, flying from customer to customer, digging into the software - it was interesting, exiting, it shaped me. made me more mature and sharpened my skills. But had little spare time, coulnd't make private appointments with friends because i didn't know in advance or i would be free that day

be a cad manager now - the job is similar, but contacts with "the client" is more intens, you can consult, execute, and see you work being used in production - not possible as beeing consultant. you become more business wise as you dig into more detail of the scope of one compagny. Still stressy at times - still interesting and exciting.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD Manager or Consultant providing similar functions, which job to go for?

I did consulting work a few years back, it was all front end, setting up projects and getting teams working in the right direction, but I never saw the end result, the actual drawings going out and being built.

Now I am a CAD Manager, I get involved in projects from loose design sketching to signing off record drawings and see the process all the way through. This investment in the building is, in my opinion, far more rewarding. Ioften walk around London and think "I did that", while looking at various parts of the skyline.

The pros and the cons? Well, you get to work with the same people all the time, that can be a pro or a con, depends on the company and the general environment in which you work. I love it here, but I do have my fair share of "numpties" to contend with.

You also have far more control over how things are done when you are CAD Manager, something that you can only advise on as a consultant, you are in charge of as a Manager.

And the final good bit, is that I get time to play around with new technologies and programs, and I get to choose who works for me.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by thankthecadmaker
    What type of things should I be wary of before excepting a position as a cad manager? How do I know if this is a job I want to get into? If you are a CAD manager, what things do you love/hate about your job?
    Things to think about:

1.) Currently you are an outsider so they will likely treat you a bit differently. How do you see others in the office being treated (after all, you'll soon not be the "rescue guy" you'll be the employee).

2.) Will you need to do production work again? You may or may not, but its a definite question to ask. Depending on your own needs/dreams this could be a big factor if they want you to work long hours to get an "emergency" project out the door.

3.) Think about what this job can bring you that your current position can't. Weigh the Pros and Cons. Somewhere in there you'll likely find your answer.