Thread: Jpeg used as sign in revit wont show in 3D

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Jpeg used as sign in revit wont show in 3D

I am trying to use a jpeg image for a sign in a project. It shows up only in the elevation but when I try to view it 3D it disappears. Can anyone help with this dilemma and how? Thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Jpeg used as sign in revit wont show in 3D

Decals is one way of doing it. But I think this works only for rendered views. Just use another program like Photoshop to transform and place the image in the view. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd like to know as well please! you can find decals under the models menu.

The help menu reads, " In the drawing area, click a flat surface face (such as a wall face or roof face) to place the decal. You can also place a decal on a cylindrical surface. The decal image displays as a symbolic image (a clear box with 2 lines through it) in all non-rendered views, as shown. The actual image is visible only in rendered views."

Good luck!
    Last edited by gautamrs; 2007-05-04 at 11:41 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Jpeg used as sign in revit wont show in 3D

Quote Originally Posted by dcox.138820
    I am trying to use a jpeg image for a sign in a project. It shows up only in the elevation but when I try to view it 3D it disappears. Can anyone help with this dilemma and how? Thank you!
    When you insert an image in Revit (not through a Decal) it is a "view specific" object.....it only shows in the view you inserted it. So as you inserted in the elevation, it will only show on the elevation. If you want it on the 3d, you won't be able to do it in revit. Like it was said, through a Decal you can render an image...but that isn't what you are trying to do.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Jpeg used as sign in revit wont show in 3D

Quote Originally Posted by dcox.138820
    Do it in SketchUp. That seems to **** Autodesk off, and anything SketchUp does, Autodesk copies a year or two later anyway.
    Snarky mode off. Seriously, if you need to do it for a design presentation, do it in SketchUp. Then do an image in a 2D view in Revit for the CDs. Or you could do the 3D view as an export from Revit and skew the sign on using Photoshop. I am pretty sure the only way to do do it in Revit is to render, which is not a look I like.

Gordon