Thread: Thick Lines/Thin Lines

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Thick Lines/Thin Lines

Can anyone tell what you are using in general - thick lines or thin lines.

I thought I read somewhere here that thick lines were a good option for general work but I am finding my drafting is not very clean as things tend to get hidden under the lines and I find some linework is a few millimeters apart.

Thin lines are a nuisance as it is sometimes difficult to see sketch lines.

Rob

PS While I am at it, is anyone else finding the search function a little cumbersome? There is a wealth of information in here but sometimes it is not very easy to find.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Thick Lines/Thin Lines

TL affects on screen graphics only, no impact on printing/plotting. I don't use Thin Lines very much myself as I prefer to see the lineweights. It is useful at times when you want to see some subtle aspect of wall joins without changing the scale of the view but you can also waste time doing so if you forget what scale the view is and how it will look when printed. Sometimes it is better to tackle stuff that in an enlarged view, assuming you actually make one of the condition.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting.
    I almost always use thin lines. I also use dashed lines for section cuts, to differentiate them from geometry.
    I think I have a pretty well-developed ability to imagine line weights as they will print, so I don't often feel a need to view actual line weights on the screen.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I also use thin lines since i dont bother with printing it's already setup. Revit takes care of it for me.

Do i looooove this guy

Login to Give a bone

so, the standard display is wysiwyg then?

Didn't realise that - d'Oh

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have been giving thin lines a go since posting this and find it more useful for my approach although I still flick between the two (F6) at times just to confirm line thichness.

Thanks,
    Rob

Login to Give a bone

Most of the time I work with the thin lines setting for the sake of accuracy. As with many tools in Revit, I wish it would remember my settings and not always revert to what the developers think is your best course of action. I do like the feature, as it helps check the amount of detail you put into your drawing at certain scales before you print.

At my office we reworked all the line weights to better suit our needs. Generally we have more variety in the thinner weights and did away with the obnoxiously thick lines we would most likely never use. The problem with this is that when you open up a Family Object for editing, the factory line weights are hard-coded into it rather than assuming the line weights from you project/template. This results in super-thick lines forcing you to work with thin lines whether you like it or not...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Bimmer

The problem with this is that when you open up a Family Object for editing, the factory line weights are hard-coded into it rather than assuming the line weights from you project/template. This results in super-thick lines forcing you to work with thin lines whether you like it or not...
    To avoid this, just make sure all the factory object styles are loaded in your template. You can have those lineweights pre-set and any imported families will adopt the lineweight of the project setup. I recently posted a document showuing the object model of 9.1 and all the factory styles. I do need to update our setup for 2008...