Thread: Masking region in titleblock family

Login to Give a bone

Question Masking region in titleblock family

Has anyone tried anything using masking regions in a titleblock family? It doesn't seem to do anything. I'm trying to create a titleblock for use in revisions/addenda so I can drop it on top a view (basically create a new sheet, place a view in the sheet and then cut the border and re-paste it). This border would mask an area around the border and show me only what's within a "window" in the middle. Since the titleblock is defined as an 8 1/2" x 11" size, I select such paper size, set to print at 100% and only the area within the 8 1/2" x 11" prints.

In RB 9.1, I had to resort to 2 titleblock families to achieve this: One used as the mask (white filled region with a hole in the middle) and a second used as the acutal letter-sized titleblock family that contains the info. I tried using a white filled region in a titleblock family, but somehow even though it looks perfectly fine in the family editor, the white filled region starts masking the titleblock linework when loaded in the project environement (and hence the reason for the 2 separate titleblock families).

So, do masking regions work in titleblocks? So far they're acting as transparent entities!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Masking region in titleblock family

Soooo, no one tested this yet?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Soooo, no one tested this yet?
    Given that Masking Regions don't work for squat in Annotation either, I would hazard to guess the same is true of title blocks. So, in annotations, the masking region will look fine on screen, but not print right unless you print Raster. BUG in my book, but some might call it a feature. Anyway, if the on screen right, print wrong situation is similar, you might try the raster print and see what you get.

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Gordon. Well, so far it seems that on screen it's not doing anything, both in the family editor and in the project environment. It seems to be 100% transparent. And as I said in my original post, a solid white filled region looks like I want it in the family editor but then shows differently in the project environment, which renders what I'm trying to do only possible with overlaying 2 titleblock families instead of one....very unelegant.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Thanks Gordon. Well, so far it seems that on screen it's not doing anything, both in the family editor and in the project environment. It seems to be 100% transparent. And as I said in my original post, a solid white filled region looks like I want it in the family editor but then shows differently in the project environment, which renders what I'm trying to do only possible with overlaying 2 titleblock families instead of one....very unelegant.
    I do think masking regions are about half baked in R2008, and I am DEARLY hoping we don't have to wait till 2008.1 to see them fixed. Too much good functionality to be left half done and buggy. Gee, a Revit Futures forum would sure help with this, wouldn't it?

Gordon