Thread: Applying CTB to individual viewports?

Login to Give a bone

Question Applying CTB to individual viewports?

Hola todos,

I was wondering if it would be possible to apply different ctb's to different viewports within the same layout/plot? I've got a large subdivision of which I want to show the majority as grey and hidden line, with a single phase as displayed. I would like to be able to simply copy my viewport, vpclip the phase that I'd like to show as existing (so they're both on same coords, no mess no fuss), and apply a different plot style to what I'd like to show as background. Is this possible? Any ideas?...besides recreating an entire new set of linework (prop lines, roadway, etc.) as simple grey linework? Thanks!

PS, Mark H., I wrote your # down on something on my desk....if you could see my desk! So, I can't find your #. Give me a call back or I'll try looking you up soon. Thx!

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Applying CTB to individual viewports?

If the information in your viewports is coming into your current drawing via xrefs you could make a second xref to the same drawing(s). Over-ride one of the xref's layer settings to hidden/gray. Now you have two possible color choices depending on which Layers you choose for your viewport(s).

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, but everything is Civil 3d parcels, alignments, networks, etc...all within the same drawing. I am trying to change the display of the elements within the drawing, rather than having to duplicate data (e.g. exploded xrefs)...since that can get quite time consuming and I would lose the dynamic nature of the data. Also, since I would like to keep everything on the same datum (horiz) so I'm not spending a bunch of time re-orienting and re-scaling viewports, I would need to bring my xref into the drawing in it's original location. With 50+ sheets referencing this file, I would have to manually modify each individual viewport within the set to not show the new layers....

Login to Give a bone

This is what I'm looking for!!..

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=33795

but I still can't find it...

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Bill,
    You can create a Layer State in one layout tab with your settings 'By Vport' and then go into your other layouts and restore that Layer State. You will need to be in your Layout, with the Vport active and set your layer settings the way you want them. Then save the Layer State (you may need to export this if you have multiple sheets). Then go to your other Layouts and restore (or import) that Saved Layer State.
    BTW I'll give you a ring a little later this morning
    Last edited by MHultgren; 2007-05-11 at 10:45 AM.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Since you are using C3D, you can create a Style for your Existing, Future and current construction (Proposed) and then apply those styles to your parcels, corridors and utilities.
    Something along the lines of this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I think the ability to set layer properties per viewport will accomplish what you are requesting. What you need is AutoCAD (C3D) 2008.

Edit: I haven't played with this new feature yet but I am hoping they added viewport functionality to layer states. If so, you should be able to save a layer state, export it and import it into your other drawings.
    Last edited by jpaulsen; 2007-05-11 at 03:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Mark and Jeff,

Thanks for the input. For the layer states idea Mark, I was not aware that you could define states 'By Vport'...I looked in the layer state manager and thru the lman command...am I missing something?

As far as changing the parcel/alignment/etc. styles...that is what I am trying to avoid doing. This drawing is addressing multiple phases at once, so the same parcels/alignments are displayed as either existing or proposed within the same sheet set.

So this feature is in 2008!!? I've had all of my 2008 updates sitting on my desk for a while now...under a few layers of junk by now! I've been procrastinating updating as I was in the middle of getting this out the door. I guess I'll upgrade today! I'll let you know how it works out.. Thanks!

Bill

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by whf
    Hi Mark and Jeff,

Thanks for the input. For the layer states idea Mark, I was not aware that you could define states 'By Vport'...I looked in the layer state manager and thru the lman command...am I missing something?

As far as changing the parcel/alignment/etc. styles...that is what I am trying to avoid doing. This drawing is addressing multiple phases at once, so the same parcels/alignments are displayed as either existing or proposed within the same sheet set.

So this feature is in 2008!!? I've had all of my 2008 updates sitting on my desk for a while now...under a few layers of junk by now! I've been procrastinating updating as I was in the middle of getting this out the door. I guess I'll upgrade today! I'll let you know how it works out.. Thanks!

Bill
    Yes, that is a 2008 feature. In 2007 the closest you could come would be per layout by having a different CTB used in the layout's page setup - but all viewports on one layout would be the same.

Login to Give a bone

I LOVE 2008!!!! This is great! It's almost like someone was reading my wishlist that I haven't had time to write! Finally....thanks Autodesk!!