Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between Max & Viz.

I could stop if I wanted to Paul P.'s Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default What's the difference between Max & Viz.

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain the difference between Viz and Max for me, as I understand it (which could be considered not that much) Viz is a variation of Max for the Architectural market. As a potential purchaser of one of these application I'm trying to work out which would best suit my needs, we currently use Revit and from reading the help file it seems that we can export to dwg and then link in both Max and Viz. If this is the case then what is the benefit of one over the other.

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What's the difference between Max & Viz.

Linking and exporting shouldn't be a problem with either program. If you're familiar with AutoCAD, you can make a similar comparison of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT. Viz doesn't do things like particle systems or charactor animation/rigging that MAX does. If architectural renderings and walkthroughs are what you're after, than Viz will do it and save you a buck or two. However, if you're after DCC, complex real-world physics, or animations involving much more than a walk-through, then you should pony up the money for Max.

There used to be a good comparison of the features, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking...

Login to Give a bone

Phillip, thanks for the response much appreciated, I've downloaded the trial version of Max but it looks like I'll have to get a disk off my reseller to try Viz. Just one more question, is there anything in Viz that you don't get in Max. I would also appreciate it if you could locate that comparison of the features.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P.
    Phillip, thanks for the response much appreciated
    No problem, glad to help.

Just one more question, is there anything in Viz that you don't get in Max.
    That would be better suited to be answered by a Viz person. I had looked a long time ago when I made my choice, but things are much different now, I'm sure.

I would also appreciate it if you could locate that comparison of the features.
    It may take a minute, but I'll dig around for it.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

There is this comparison table but its not for current versions, and things have likely changed a bit since.

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Paul,
    As a fellow Revit user, I feel I can comment on this... with a question. What do you intend to use either Max or Viz for? You are correct in that Viz is essentially "Max-Lite" (less calories, less filling, same great taste!) I've used both - and both will work fine for the exported Revit files, and the files are interchangeable (Viz>Max>Viz).

Yes, you can do walthrough animations in both, however, if you want to do thing such as fountains or birds flying by with particle systems (and not modeled), then you'll need Max. Max is a more 'robust' animation program and can handle certain things like particles and inverse kinematics better, but obviously it is more expensive. Both come with the Mental Ray rendering engine, so they're on equal footings there.

To answer your question, I believe you get some better AEC creation tools in Viz, but I think they're essentially the same. Which, in my mind, aren't that necessary if you're modelling in Revit anyway. Oh and you get more 'EasyNAT' tree seeds in Max.

I know many people who are happy with Viz, but I personally am a Max fan. It's a little more.. but then you won't want for anything later.

Good luck with your decision.
    Kyle

Login to Give a bone

Well put, Kyle. No literary inspiration is in me today.

Login to Give a bone

To add further to the excellent feedback above, VIZ is definitely more entry level. If you've never used both, you might consider starting with VIZ and if needed upgrade later to MAX. If you firm traditionally has their conceptual renderings outsourced and you are starting to look at doing this in house, definitely start with VIZ. As you build a robust team, then upgrade to MAX. The skills learned in VIZ are totally usable in MAX. In fact it will help lesson the learning of a huge program such as MAX.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Steve.S, thanks for the comparison table link but the file is damaged.

Kyle, to answer your question I would be looking to do all modelling in Revit as this is what I'm most comfortable with and using Viz or Max for the most part for rendering, visualisations etc. with walk-through animations a possibility if I got my way. You said a few things (fountains or birds flying by with particle systems & things like particles and inverse kinematics) that are a bit like the sky, over my head.

On a side note, do you get growing instructions with the 'EasyNAT' tree seeds that ship with both.

Steve_B, we would be definitely entry level users but could I use Max just like Vis without having to concern myself with any of the other features that aren't essential to producing visualisations such as the hair & fur in the Modifiers menu (what ever that is).

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The situation that you are describing makes VIZ sound like the better choice. It'll save you the money up front and still has most of the capabilities that you are concerned with work wise. I, personally, would recommend getting MAX since i firmly believe in the old saying: its better have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. As far as i know there isn't much in VIZ that isn't in MAX. Realistically though if you are going to be doing all of your modeling in Revit anyway...you can throw most of the VIZ arch tools out the window so the only added benifit of VIZ over MAX would be the stuff that MAX has above and beyond what it shares with VIZ. Oh yeah...and if you guys are building a rendering pipeline i would look into VRay as your rendering engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast