Thread: To share or not to share . . . that is the question

Login to Give a bone

Default To share or not to share . . . that is the question

We've now got some well behaving nested window and door families, that do pretty much everything we desire of them, except appear in legends . . .

The host family is wall based (window or door type), and comprises the reference planes, voids, sills etc (everything to do with the wall interface).
    The nested families (frame, sash, mullion) are shared Generic Model components.

We have used Generic Models for the nested families as they do not schedule as doors / windows, they can't accidentally be tagged as doors / windows, and because they cut nicely in plan views (means we don't need to mess around with line representation of geometry).

The problem, as above, is that they will not appear in legends, which is where we prepare the graphic description of our window / door "schedules".

We've done some experimenting and found that if the nested families are not shared, the family can be shown in a legend, and scheduling works fine, but each family becomes unique (not made out of subcomponents) creating unnecessary duplication in the database, and the nested family components don't cut in plan requiring additional linework at course / medium / fine levels (which is otherwise un-necessary).

Has anyone else discovered problems with nested families in legends?
    Is there a logic behind it, or is this a bug?

Crispin

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: To share or not to share . . . that is the question

I am not entirely certain what you mean but I suspect it may be similar to an issue we uncovered with "disappearing" nested pulls in casework. We had some difficulty when using Shared when we wanted to use nested components without instance parameters (type only) for dimensions yet we wanted the parameters to nest and link. Similar problem with toilets nested into stalls where we had some yes/no visibility parameters.

Would you mind posting an example of what you are trying to accomplish? If my assumptions are correct, I might be able to find a solution using our work-around for a similar problem. Might be worth a try and I can at least take a look.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: To share or not to share . . . that is the question

Have submitted a support request.
    Will report back . . .
    C

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: To share or not to share . . . that is the question

Autodesk have replied that shared nested families don't appear in legends, and that this feature is on the wishlist.

That solves it.

We'll look at callouts or the seperate phase idea for preparing elevations of windows for scheduling in mean time.

Thanks for your reply phillisr - example of nested window is in previous post

Crispin