Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall poche in plan but not section

Login to Give a bone

Question Wall poche in plan but not section

I'm relatively new to Revit. I want to know if it's possible for my walls to have a solid black poche in plan but not filled in section. I know I can set the cut pattern to solid, but then the walls are filled in both views. I also know that I can set the coarse scale fill pattern to solid black, but I'd rather have my plans at medium detail level. Is there a way to accomplish this, or am I asking too much?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall poche in plan but not section

Quote Originally Posted by lm.136504
    I'm relatively new to Revit. I want to know if it's possible for my walls to have a solid black poche in plan but not filled in section. I know I can set the cut pattern to solid, but then the walls are filled in both views. I also know that I can set the coarse scale fill pattern to solid black, but I'd rather have my plans at medium detail level. Is there a way to accomplish this, or am I asking too much?
    My preference here is to make a filter, that works on Walls, Roofs, Floors and Ceilings. Make it with no filter criteria, so it grabs all instances of those categories. Then in your plan you apply the filter and override the cut pattern. Now all those items poche as expected, but only in that view. Apply the same filter (or create view template) and apply it to a presentation plan, and the one plan looks good, while not impacting any other course detail plans. Very slick.

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Okay. I can follow you through applying the filter, then I get stuck. When I'm in the Visibility/Graphics dialog box, I click on the Filters tab, and I see where I can change line styles for cut and projection, but not cut pattern. What am I missing?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Okay. I can follow you through applying the filter, then I get stuck. When I'm in the Visibility/Graphics dialog box, I click on the Filters tab, and I see where I can change line styles for cut and projection, but not cut pattern. What am I missing?
    Click the Override... button under Cut Pattern, then you will get the Fill Pattern Graphics dialog, where you need to change both Color and Pattern.

Hope that helps.

Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Wall poche in plan but not section

Quote Originally Posted by gordon.price
    My preference here is to make a filter, that works on Walls, Roofs, Floors and Ceilings. Make it with no filter criteria, so it grabs all instances of those categories. Then in your plan you apply the filter and override the cut pattern. Now all those items poche as expected, but only in that view. Apply the same filter (or create view template) and apply it to a presentation plan, and the one plan looks good, while not impacting any other course detail plans. Very slick.

Best,
    Gordon
    BRILLIANT!

Gold Star for you today.

Login to Give a bone

Ahhh, my dialog box is different. I don't get the "Cut" heading. I only get the "Projection/Surface" heading. Did I miss a step? My filter includes walls, roofs, ceilings, and floors, and no other criteria.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by lm.136504; 2007-05-16 at 03:53 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ahhh, my dialog box is different. I don't get the "Cut" heading. I only get the "Projection/Surface" heading. Did I miss a step? My filter includes walls, roofs, ceilings, and floors, and no other criteria.

Thanks so much!
    I believe the poche via filter stuff was added in 2008. One of many arguments to upgrade. And an argument for us all to note which version we are talking about for a while.

Sorry for the confusion.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Oh, okay. We haven't upgraded yet. I did learn some useful things about filters...I hadn't used those yet. Thank so much!!! I appreciate your help.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Set your view to medium display but in VV override the level of detail for walls and pick Coarse. Then set a coarse level pattern to your walls

Login to Give a bone

I have been wrestling with this problem as well. I wanted my walls to have a solid grey poche in the floor plans, but not int the wall sections, etc. The only problem with the fixes listed above is that if you override the graphics for the entire wall, all your wall materials default to the override. So if you have a section showing studs, precast, rigid insulation and brick and you do a filter or graphic override, you lose all the materials in your detail.

So here's my fix... I changed my "metal stud" material to have a solid fill with a grey color. (looks great on plan, and I get to keep my brick hatching, etc.) To fix my plan details and wall sections, I just set the walls to transparent under visibility graphics. For some reason, this blows away the solid fill pattern, but keeps the other patterns like the drywall stipple and rigid insulation hatching. Also, you don't have to worry about some weird phasing setup or 'coarse' vs 'fine' settings.

...and now I can sleep at night.
    Hope this helps

Case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast