Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual Monitors

Login to Give a bone

Default Dual Monitors

I just found out that my computer can support dual monitors and I'm wondering if there is any benefit to having two monitors when using Revit.

Frank Y

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dual Monitors

Some use dual monitors to spread revit across two screens. They would then have two windows visible and move a 3D view (typically) to one monitor and a plan or elevation on the other. Revit in itself doesn't support dual monitors.

Personally I usually have one monitor for Revit and the second for all the other stuff. If you ever have to refer to Autocad but draw in revit than 2 monitors is great. If you are doing something that requires looking at a couple of views at once then it is nice to be able to spread them across two monitors.

If you have the option of two monitors then I would grab it.

Rob

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'll second Rob's suggestion. I have two monitors at work. It would really slow me down if I had to go back to one for the type of work I've been doing. If you you have to work in multiple programs at once multiple monitors will make you more efficient (once you get out of the habit of switch applications on the same screen). I remember saying to someone at one time that I could really use 6 monitors today and was serious. But that was a rare occasion. 3 or 4 would come in handy quite often though.

Login to Give a bone

6 monitors is really not that stupid. Before computers came along I would often spread 4 or 5 pages across the desk and try to refer to them all at once. Now pdf's and dwgs/rvts/jpegs have replaced paper then how else do you refer to 4 or 5 things.

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Word of advice if you have different size/resolution monitors: To Start with, load up Revit with just the main monitor plugged in. Then with it still open plug the second screen back in. When I first had revit on twin monitors it would default to the secondary one, & when I dragged it to the primary the Options bar would stack up causing the revit pane to jump about & even move selected entities in the model. This is a known problem - a few other people have posted about it on other forums.

Cheers
    Dave F.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Dual Monitors

Using dual monitors is great for Revit. You can pull your Project Browser over to the other monitor to expand your view window. This is especially helpful if you have longer view titles because you can then expand the Project Browser as needed.
    -LC

Login to Give a bone

Interesting . . . how does one determine if their computer supports two (or more) monitors. Does it require dual processors? I do have a spare monitor and would kinda like to try this if possible.

In some cases it sounds like you're talking about having one screen spread across two monitors but in others it sounds as though you're referring to having separate programs open on different monitors; are both possible if you have the ability to support two monitors? In the second case I assume there is a way to toggle from one screen to the other.

Is this what they mean by multi-tasking?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F.
    Word of advice if you have different size/resolution monitors: To Start with, load up Revit with just the main monitor plugged in. Then with it still open plug the second screen back in. When I first had revit on twin monitors it would default to the secondary one, & when I dragged it to the primary the Options bar would stack up causing the revit pane to jump about & even move selected entities in the model. This is a known problem - a few other people have posted about it on other forums.

Cheers
    Dave F.
    I have never had this problem. Maybe it's because I run an nVIDIA graphics card w/ their nVIEW drivers. I have dual 19" displays, left side primary, but my start button and title bar are on the right monitor only. Revit always opens on the left side, and my Outlook, Acrobat, browsers, etc. always open on the right.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Architeria
    Interesting . . . how does one determine if their computer supports two (or more) monitors. Does it require dual processors? I do have a spare monitor and would kinda like to try this if possible.

In some cases it sounds like you're talking about having one screen spread across two monitors but in others it sounds as though you're referring to having separate programs open on different monitors; are both possible if you have the ability to support two monitors? In the second case I assume there is a way to toggle from one screen to the other.

Is this what they mean by multi-tasking?

Thanks
    Generally speaking, if your computer has two monitor ports on the back of the computer, you can use two monitors. It has nothing to do with dual processors. If you have a spare monitor and a second monitor port on the back of the computer, you can give it a try... it won't break anything. If you don't have a second monitor port, you'd probably be best off buying a new video card if you want to have a second monitor.

Most video cards (or more specifically, the driver software for the video card) support a variety of ways of displaying multiple monitors. Most common is probably to span a single desktop over multiple monitors. The cursor simply jumps from one monitor to the other as the cursor reaches the edge of one side of the screen.

It has nothing to do with the meaning of multi-tasking, though it obviously can enhance multi-tasking abilities for some.

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have two monitors and my one big wish is that I could drag open views on to the other screen, like in photoshop CS. If that happened I might get a third screen (30") for the middle. That would be Skookum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast