Thread: AutoCAD 2007 is saving to BAK files instead of actual drawing files

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2007 is saving to BAK files instead of actual drawing files

hi,
    i am facing a surprising problem with Auto CAD2007,when i am working on my file all work is saved to the *.*bak file not in main file.Everytime to continue the work i have to start work on bak file not main file.
    please help me.suggest me any solution.

thank you.
    Last edited by yogesh.mundhe; 2007-05-22 at 12:10 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: AutoCAD 2007 is saving to BAK files instead of actual drawing files

Quote Originally Posted by yogesh.mundhe
    i am facing a surprising problem with Auto CAD2007,when i am working on my file all work is saved to the *.*bak file not in main file.Everytime to continue the work i have to start work on bak file not main file.
    please help me.suggest me any solution.my e-mail is- [ SNIP ]
    Hi

First, unless you are happy to broadcast your email address publicly, you may wish to consider removing it from your above post - "Forum Security" which can be found in the "AUGI Forum Guidelines".

Within AutoCAD 2007 how are you actually Saving your work to the drawing file(s)?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 is saving to BAK files instead of actual drawing files

When AutoCAD saves a file, it writes the contents of the editor to a TMP file, then it takes the current DWG file and renames it to BAK (assuming that this feature is enabled), then it renames the TMP file to DWG. So there is no way to create a BAK file unless a DWG file existed to start with.

Create a new directory like C:\TEMP2. Leave Windows Explorer open to this directory. Now open AutoCAD and save the new empty drawing to C:\TEMP2. Look in Explorer. What is there?

please help me.suggest me any solution.my e-mail is- yogesh.mundhe@hotmail.com
    This is a discussion group - replies will be available for your reading here. You can set up your account so that an email reminder is sent when a reply is posted.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

It is possible that AutoCAD did not rename the TMP file to DWG. Look in your folder for TMP files.

We had this problem frequently due to our anti-virus software. We changes the settings in the anti-virus software to not scan DWG files. I think there were a couple of other file types too but this was several years ago and I don't remember which ones.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    It is possible that AutoCAD did not rename the TMP file to DWG. Look in your folder for TMP files.

We had this problem frequently due to our anti-virus software. We changes the settings in the anti-virus software to not scan DWG files. I think there were a couple of other file types too but this was several years ago and I don't remember which ones.
    That makes perfect sense. Any security software (antivirus, spyware remover, firewall) tries
    to keep the computer from making moves without user input. The user does not have any intervention with the file renaming and swapping done by AutoCad.