Thread: STC failure with error writing to backup file

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default STC failure with error writing to backup file

See attached error message. It's a large project, complicated geometry, several linked files (curtain wall, parkade, tower interior, curtain wall). Two users get errors like this from time to time. Gigabet network, RAID5 server, RAM is generally maxed out on the workstations.

In most cases the STC was actually successful -- but the users can never get a STC to happen without this error if they get it the first time. They then have to create a new local file which is both a hassle, and unsettling. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2007-05-28 at 04:44 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: STC failure with error writing to backup file

Wes,

I've never seen an error accessing any of the DAT files related to a workset-enabled file. Silly question...is there enough free space on the machine the DAT file is being written to? Have you contacted support?

Login to Give a bone

Yeah -- there's tons of space. I'm not managing this project, but I have told them to get a SR going on it so development can get their hands on it. Of course, they're all newbies so Revit tends to behave badly in such hands.

Thanks for the advice, eh! How's YOUR pilot project going these days? (James called me several years ago about what sort of project they should choose as a Revit pilot project -- I said something small or midsized. Next thing I hear, they're doing the Freedom Tower in Revit. LOL)
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2007-05-31 at 03:58 AM.

Login to Give a bone

LOL! In other words, he really listened to you eh?

I never saw that error. My experience with failed STC's was when I kept getting a fatal error just as STC is about to finish. Somehow, I decided to open a simpler view, such as a drafting view, and close everything else, and STC was successful. This has happened a couple of times now under 9.1). I've also gotten some other "serious error" during STC which was traced to some workset/borrowing violation, and there was no fix, so I lost an afternoon of work. But then, the same error happened a few days later and I tried the above and it worked again. Go figure.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Along the lines of what James asked, is there folder management in place? Software that limits the amount or size of a project's folders, either the root or the lower branches?

Login to Give a bone

I'll have to check with IT on that one, but I doubt it. IT is pretty flexible with their management practices (workstations have local admin permissions).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi all,
    We've seen this a few times on our largest project where the file structure is overly complicated and was developed around a mapped-drive letter, not the UNC path which is an extra set of characters that were not anticipated by the powers that be. I've checked with I've seen it and had around 260-270 character long file paths. Revit has reported that there is a 256 character limit (this was a new parameter in RA2008 since I got messages in 9.1 that it was 228 characters long then). I noticed this thread is older, so I am wondering if Steve Stafford's suggestion was correct? If it is related to the file path, please post back and let us know. I know that here in my office we would appreciate some confirmation from other people who have experienced the same issue and found it to be related to the paths itself. That would be very much welcome information!
    Thanks,
    LC