Thread: Migrating a Revit File Server to New Server

Login to Give a bone

Default Migrating a Revit File Server to New Server

We just migrated one our main file server with our Revit projects over to a new server. The new server took a new name. The old one was left in place with different duties. This all went fine until we started to open up our local/central files. The central file is now considered a local file to the file on the old server. Since we renamed the folder structure on the old server, its path could not be found. This is what raised the red flag. These files are using the full UNC path. All this is something that we never really thought of and do not know if there is a set way to do this for future migrations. (understanding that this is not something you do often, but eventually may be done) Has anyone come across this? Is it dealt with in anyway.

I am told that our IT staff used XCOPY to get the files over onto the new server. Our current solution was to open up the Central file (now a local copy) and resave it as a new central file then recreate new local copies from this. I would rename both old local and old central file/backupfolder in lieu of overwriting the files so the backup folders/contents are forced to recreated themselves.

I have found some threads regarding this issue but non of them really give the answer I was looking for. Renaming the new sever the same as old server was not an option and even though we are using mapped drives, Revit appears to be using the UNC path instead, unless we are missing something.

If anything this is a big heads up to have all your ducks in a row (local files saved to central) prior to migrating your data severs.

Any comments/thoughts would be great.

jamie

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrating a Revit File Server to New Server

Jamie,
    Thanks for the tip. It's very timely for me since we are moving our offices to a new location with new servers in a few weeks. I had not considered the problem.

<Our current solution was to open up the Central file (now a local copy) and resave it as a new central file then recreate new local copies from this.>

That sounds like the way to go...

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Very timely post We just installed a new server and it too has a new name. So as was stated, the central file becomes a local when it's opened. Just do a save as and make it the new central file. Just remember to do yet another Save to Central and relinquish everything, as the person that creates this new central will own everything and no one can make changes. Then, create new locals.

One issue that occurs is with linked files. If your linked files were set to "Relative", just do a Reload in the Manage Links dialog and everything should be fine. If you had some that were set to "Absolute", you'll have to do a Reload From. Also, check the active workset. Once all this is done, then do the final Save to Central as stated above and then let everyone create new locals.

Login to Give a bone

More good points.

But what about all my old jobs? I guess I could leave them as local files since they are finished. If need be worksharing could be enabled again if at some point the job started up again.

Tom

Login to Give a bone

It shouldn't make any difference I suppose. If an old job starts again, just re-create the central and locals as desired. If Revit cannot find linked dwgs, it's smart enough to show what was successfully loaded last.

Login to Give a bone

We are having the same issue. We have re-saved the central, and repathed the links. The issue we are having now is that all of our standards, families and templates were on the server that has changed names. We changed these paths in the .ini file, but this has had no effect. If we try and access a new family, or do any kind of 'save as' operation it takes 10-15mins before Revit gives up looking for the old server and gives you the option of navigating to a new location. Any ideas? The last resort is reinstalling Revit, as these paths seem to be imbedded within the program somwhere.

Anton

Login to Give a bone

Hmm that shouldn't happen. I would delete the registry keys in the user profile and that should resolve the issue without requiring a reinstall.