Thread: Google Earth Extension now available for AutoCAD 2008-based products

AutoCAD Product Manager eric.stover's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Google Earth Extension now available for AutoCAD 2008-based products

AUGI Membership,

We wanted to announce that our Google Earth™ Extension for AutoCAD 2008, AutoCAD Architectural 2008, and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 is now available for beta testing on the Autodesk Labs website.

This is a public beta (no non-disclosure is required) and we would appreciate your valuable feedback while you explore this new application!

This publishing tool is designed to specifically meet the needs of Architects, Designers, and Engineers using Autodesk products. Using the easy-to-use, wizard-driven interface, you can publish your 3D models directly from AutoCAD into Google Earth™.

From the planning process all the way through to public approval, everyone involved in your project can now view and navigate your projects in the context of the rich, interactive Google Earth™ environment. Other benefits include:
    • Deliver high-impact presentations at planning board meetings or public hearings
    • Streamline the preliminary project planning process
    • Share conceptual plans with your clients as they develop
    • Connect everyone involved in your project from the planning stage through to public approval

You can find this extension on Autodesk Labs: http://labs.autodesk.com

You can obtain a copy of Google Earth™ here: http://earth.google.com/

Thanks,

-Eric

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Google Earth Extension now available for AutoCAD 2008-based products

The image will be black and white – a current limitation imposed by Google Earth.
    erhm.. why is that?
    Anyone can make already make a screenshot from google earth and import that image in autocad in full color?
    The image-import works perfectly (AutoCAD 2008 over here) , but like this, it's like watching tv from the 60's.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Google Earth Extension now available for AutoCAD 2008-based products

They limit their API to B&W export for non-Google software applications. One workaround until this changes is to use Google Earth Save>image command and then drape the color image onto the 3D mesh as mentioned in the User's Guide. Not the easiest or obivous, but it does work.

If you just copy/paste the image, you'll lose all of the coordinate information from GE.

-Eric

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eric.stover
    They limit their API to B&W export for non-Google software applications. One workaround until this changes is to use Google Earth Save>image command and then drape the color image onto the 3D mesh as mentioned in the User's Guide. Not the easiest or obivous, but it does work.

If you just copy/paste the image, you'll lose all of the coordinate information from GE.

-Eric
    I can see it with standard & plus, because you aren't supposed to use the imagery for commercial purposes anyway, but they really shouldn't do that if we're paying for GE Pro.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eric.stover
    AUGI Membership,

We wanted to announce that our Google Earth™ Extension for AutoCAD 2008, AutoCAD Architectural 2008, and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 is now available for beta testing on the Autodesk Labs website.
    Why isn't this product available for MAP 3D? Wouldn't it make since to make is not only for Civil but also for Map?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Any chance this will become 64-Bit compatible soon?

Login to Give a bone

There won't be any special port of hte Extension to 64-bit this year. But we are examining the possibilites and costs of integration into our CAD applications in the future - this would include our 64-bit products.

-Eric

Login to Give a bone

I recently installed the Google Earth Extension for AutoCAD 2008. The installation seemingly went ok with no error messages.
    The product did not install into AutoCAD though. The commands, like PUBLISHKML are not recognized.
    I initially installed the extension beta and then Google Earth with no luck. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the extension beta, still no progress.
    I am looged into Windows XP as an 'Administrator.'
    I am running AutoCAD 2008 EDUCATION VERSION.
    Any troubleshooting tips?

Login to Give a bone

We will use google earth to get roofs of buildings and do a basic area to get an estimate of roof sizes. So my question is, does this work for 2D or is it only for 3D objects?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Google Earth Extension now available for AutoCAD 2008-based products

I had the opportunity to view a web application by a company called Pictometry. Their product uses oblique aerial photos which you can measure and overlay images on. They are the same images found on BingMaps.com
    I saw a demo where they not only measure the area, but the slope and height too.
    It's not free. Not sure if there are other applications that do the same.
    The web address is:
    http://www.pictometry.com/commercial/construction.shtml