See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Create a custom Linetype - silt fence

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Create a custom Linetype - silt fence

I've been trying to create a linetype for silt fence. What I would like to see is a continuous line with a circle with "SF" in it and then continue on with a continuous to the next circle with SF". I've tried creating a shape file with little success. Open to suggestions.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create a custom Linetype - silt fence

Quote Originally Posted by gcameron
    I've been trying to create a linetype for silt fence. What I would like to see is a continuous line with a circle with "SF" in it and then continue on with a continuous to the next circle with SF". I've tried creating a shape file with little success. Open to suggestions.
    I've not tried it, but there is an express tool called Make Linetype. (it's under the tools part of express tools).

There are also a lot of threads about this here on the forums, you might be able to search for your answer.

Login to Give a bone

Send me your specifications and I'll see what I have that can be modified quickly....
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Beginning line at 1.25" ; then a circle diameter of .28 with a capital SF centered in the circle at a height of 0.10 width =1; then another line 1.25" line . Lines would stop at the circle.

Login to Give a bone

From memory

Might get you started, need to draw your circle with SF in it and create a shape, shpout is the command I think. You may need to convert the new shp file to an shx, I don't recall if that step is necessary or not. Then you can create your linetype

*DITCH_LINE2,Ditch line ----> ----> ----> ---->
    A,1.25,[arrow2,flow2,S=1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=0],1.25

arrow2 is the name of the shape and flow2 is the name of the shx file it is located in. shx makes me think I had to convert it. Of course you'll have to play with the size, rotation and x,y offset to get it to look right.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Make sure you have a Romans Text Style then try this:
    Code:
    *FENCELINE3,Fenceline circle ----0-----0----0-----0----0-----0--
    A,1.25,["SF",Romans,S=.1,R=0.0,X=0.05,Y=-.05],-.14,[CIRC1,ltypeshp,x=-.14,s=.14],-.14
    Beginning line at 1.25" ; then a circle diameter of .28 with a capital SF centered in the circle at a height of 0.10 width =1; then another line 1.25" line . Lines would stop at the circle.

Login to Give a bone

I would recommend using dood's example with the shape file. I have heard many people complaining about linetypes that use text styles because the text style properties can affect the linetype. This can cause the text in the linetype to change size, font, oblique angle, etc.

All of our complex linetypes use shapes. I created the shapes using the Express tool Make Shape (MKSHAPE). If I remember correctly, you just draw polylines to represent the shape and Make Shape will turn them into a shape for you. I created them several (~5) years ago so I don't remember the specifics but I do remember tracing over text with polylines.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I taught an AUGI ATP course on Linetypes four years ago. In the "C" segment I covered creating Shape Definition Files as well as Using the Express Tools MKLTYPE and MKSHAPE commands.
    While there were several methods available I was able to do the Linetype definition I posted before to his specifications in about two minutes. While it requires Romans to be a loaded textstyle and would look diferently if Romans.shx was not used as the font it is easier to add than the other mithods. I hate keeping track of extra shape files and they would need to be loaded for anyone using them in their linetypes. When I can I'll use the ones in the standard ltypeshp.shx like in this one:

Code:
    *FENCE, Fence -per FDOT's AUTOCAD Users Supplement---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- 
    A,.5,-.025,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=135,s=.08],0,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=45,s=.08],-.025,.5
    Since ltypeshp.shx comes with Autocad and is used by the complex linetypes in acad.lin they should work without loading any special shape files. I was always disappointed complex linetypes couldn't call fonts directly instead of using text styles. Even more so that they weren't Middle Center justified.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford
    I was always disappointed ...that they weren't Middle Center justified.
    Yeah. That's close to criminal.