Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parametric Louvers

Login to Give a bone

I'm creating a parametric window family for louvres.

The number of louvres in the height changes with a parametric array and works fine, but I'm having problems flexing the width.

The louvres are an extrusion, with the bottom louvre having its edges align locked to reference planes at the frame edges. This bottom louvre then is arrayed vertically, with a formula changing the number of louvres with the height.
    When arrayed, the other louvres created, are not locked to the edge reference planes for some reason, so the width of the array does not flex properly.

Once I get this working, I will probably replace the louvres with a nested family. Also I'll then post to RUGI if anyone is interested.

The family is attached, if anyone can help.

beegee

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Louvers

I've had problems with parametric arrays not flexing dimensionally. I think your solution of a nested family is probably the best bet, though it's a drag to have to do this...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Wes,

I'll give the nested family a go.

beegee

Login to Give a bone

first of all I copied the extrusins instead of array, so flexible width works fine, but not your formula of course for the hight

then tried sweep and nested families, but all did not work with your array formula
    for time being have therefore two single families

one with varibale width and the other with variable hight

but guess there must be a solution

and how do you want to post it on Rubi

when I try to connect there, I'm asked for a user name and password.

Up to now I always connected without, have therefore now passwort and just can connect?!

Gerhard

Login to Give a bone

I deleted the blades in the model. Created a separate family for a louvre blade ( as an extrusion ), nested that into the main louvre window family, locked its edges and it works fine, .... as a single instance.

However, I still can't get it to array within the main family and lock its edges. Maybe a sweep would work better than an extrusion ??

beegee

Login to Give a bone

This is the current state of the family, as per post above.

Any help appreciated.

beegee

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The trick with a nested family is to create parameters which can in turn be used in the parameter settings of the imported family. Then you go into the properties of the imported family and hit the little equals button at the right edge of each parameter row inside the imported family. Up pops a dialog box telling you which parameter you'd like to choose of the ones you've created in the host family file, and there you are.

So you can't snap geometry to ref planes, but you can still make nested families behave parametrically using this method.

Login to Give a bone

I firstly created a family called "louvre blade" with a parameter " width" for the length of the blade. This family was nested into the " Louvre" family and the parameter 'width' was made a shared parameter. This works perfectly for a single instance. The problem occurs when that component (the nested louvre blade) is arrayed vertically with the array tied to a formula to control the number of blades in the height. When the family is flexed, the array will not maintain alignment, as you can see from the posted file.
    I cannot find a way to fix this as yet.

beegee

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Beegee, you seem to be ahead of the curve on this one compared to most of us. Your best bet might be to talk to Revit support and see what they say. If it is achievable, then they should be able to help you quickly. If they tell you that it is not possible, then you can at least save yourself some frustration.

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    sorry to bug in this thread, but I have been using parametric arrays to do a lot of things since 4.5 and they never really worked the way I wanted them to. But ever since in 5 we can nest families things are starting to work a little better..
    anyway, here's my try to your problem, it's working on mine... but I hope I understood your prob correctly...

1. I arrayed the louvre blade using the "array to Last" and flagging the constrain option (it should keep the constrains of the original object though sometimes it doesn't work...)
    2. I inserted a new family parameter to control the louvre's width automatically
    3. In the array I edited the last member of my group (the top one) and locked to the top reference plane to make sure it is following the height value
    4. I also had to lock that same louvre blade to the left ref plane to make it stay in the right position... the constrain didn't work correctly...

now it seems to work correctly, I flexed the model both in the height and the width and the geometry is behaving correctly...

Please excuse me if I didnt get your problem correct... but I spent hours and hours trying to get parametric arrays and formulas to work... and somehow it's nice to see I wasn't alone in that

ciao
    gianluca
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast